View post (Adjusting from concert to dread)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/17/2021 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMW

What is the best way to get used to the different styles? (...besides just play, which I'm doing)

Yes, but no. There's a definitive answer!

There are so many different configurations of nut width, neck shape, string spacing and so on. It's endless in a way and as time passes, you develop preferences to those things. Some of it is just feel and some of it is based on physicality of the neck configuration versus your hand.

So, that's the obvious....

The 'no' part of my answer is that you just have to get used to it. Since I've got a good few guitars with a variety of neck styles, I do notice when I jump from my Les Paul (and even more, my Gretsch!), to my Telecaster. It fumbles me up a bit when I make that switch. The other day, I went right from the Gretsch, which has a wider neck, to my Tele, with a smaller neck, and fubmled about for a hot minute. So the 'no' answer is that there isn't any real thing that totally helps you get used to it. As long as I've played and as many guitars as I've played and/or owned, it still happens.

The 'yes' part is really this; swap them out regularly. I tend to be a 'my current favored guitar' person and will grab that one for a while and then another from the collection sparks my fancy. It's like when you are all about Mac&Cheese for a week and then you start wanting pizza all the sudden and then that becomes your thing for a while. You get the idea.

Don't do that. I'm guilty but I'm confortable making a quick switch.

So the 'yes' is; swap out often. Get used to going from one to the other. After a time, you don't really think about it.