Strap locks

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/11/2021 8:37 pm

I've just fitted a pair of Schaller s-locks on a Tele, which was so simple I wish I'd bought a set when I bought the guitar; fitting the strap is so much simpler now. From case to ready to play is much faster than faffing around fitting the strap and then rubber rings to make sure it stays on.

I also have a Gretsch G5420T which has screw on strap buttons. When they're removed there is what looks like a bolt protruding from the body. Does anyone know if this can be unscrewed from the guitar? Is so, I can remove these and fit Schallers, but I have concerns that trying to unscrew the existing fittings could cause them to break off altogether.

The only information I've been able to find states they will fit the same thread, which is nonsense as Schallers fit into the body like a screw.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2021 11:48 am
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

I also have a Gretsch G5420T which has screw on strap buttons. When they're removed there is what looks like a bolt protruding from the body. Does anyone know if this can be unscrewed from the guitar?

[p]If you are careful those should be removeable. I found this thread about them with a picture showing the 2 parts of the buttons completely disassembled.

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/strap-buttons-vs-strap.165770/

I encouage you to ask the resident GT guitar tech Stephen the best way to go about this in order to avoid damaging your guitar or its parts!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/12/2021 12:50 pm

That photo actually answers my question. I suspected it had a screw thread but wanted to check before trying to unscrew it. Thank you

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2021 4:06 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

That photo actually answers my question. I suspected it had a screw thread but wanted to check before trying to unscrew it. Thank you

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/13/2021 6:15 pm

I've just been reading through the rest of the article on Gretsch strap buttons. Did you notice the guy who posted a photo of his blue Gretsch in its case with strap still attached hasn't removed the protective rubber cover on the arm of his Bigsby? I'm pretty sure that's only meant to be kept in place while the guitar is travelling from the manufacturer and makes the whole guitar look cheap in my opinion. I also found it gets in the way when moving fingers from/to the bar.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.