Confusion about letter note name and name one

josselin.anton
josselin.anton
07/21/2021 2:05 pm

Hello, I am trying to finally learn about a bit of theory and know what I am playing. I live in France so I started with the do re mi fa sol la si do. But I rather learn with abcdefg since it is more logic and international.

Correct me of I am wrong but

E = mi F = fa G = sol A = la B = si C = do D = ré

I got confused because in lesson country level one 8 bar country progression (Ala Hey good lookin') Anders sings do re mi fa sol etc (around 1min of the video) he says do on the G chord which is supposed to be Sol and end up on the A string and says it is Ré (it should be La?)

Can you please tell me if I am missing something? Thanks.

# 1
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
07/21/2021 8:19 pm

It depends on the key. Do is always the first note of the key.

In the Key of C Do=C Re=D Mi=E etc

In the Key of G Do=G Rey=A Mi=B etc

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2021 2:06 am
Originally Posted by: josselin.anton

Anders sings do re mi fa sol etc (around 1min of the video) he says do on the G chord which is supposed to be Sol and end up on the A string and says it is Ré (it should be La?)

Can you please tell me if I am missing something?

[p]There are 2 kinds of solfege: fixed and movable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solf%C3%A8ge

It sounds like you are familar with fixed solfege in which C is always do, D is always re, and so on. But you might not know about movable in which do is always simply the first note of any major scale you want to play. In this cases the solfege syllables can be used to represent the scale degrees of any major scale. Hence it is called "movable". Make sense?

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/22/2021 7:49 am

If you just ignore the "do, ray, me" etc., and sing "la, la, la" instead, you'll find everything gets simpler

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4
josselin.anton
josselin.anton
07/22/2021 2:44 pm

Thank you all for your answers, as I didn't know the movable one it was very confusing to me but now i understand. I will la la la instead of do re mi that is less confusing to me

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2021 3:04 pm
Originally Posted by: josselin.anton

Thank you all for your answers, as I didn't know the movable one it was very confusing to me but now i understand. I will la la la instead of do re mi that is less confusing to me

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.