View post (Applying mPentatonic)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/06/2021 5:33 pm

Thanks Chris,

I have the mPenta down- can play at speed, accurately up and down the neck. I know how to jump down 3 frets if a song is in a major key so I can still play along. I know the 1st position of the major scale (all 7 notes) so I can hang somewhat with jazz and other types of major tunes (but to a limited degree.)

I agree- I have a lot to learn about how, why and when to play certain things. For example, I know (ok, think) the major pentatonic occupies the same exact fretted locations as the mPenta (all 5 patterns) but I don't yet know which notes to play- other than the root and the pattern- so again, very limited and repetative.

When I said, "it works" I meant playing the Am Penta over Am tune e.g., rock or blues. That does seem to work for me all the time.

Your starting to lose me a bit on the scale degrees. I will watch your lessons and get that down. I know the forumulas to come up with I, IV, IV in Major or Minor scales. I think you are saying to look at the chords themselves and their construction. I guess those notes that make up the chord also correspond with the I, IV, V of some scale- maybe the major scale of it's a major chord or of the minor scale if it's a minor chord? Clearly, I have a lot to learn. I agree- it can get pretty complicated.

I haven't learned CAGED yet- tried a couple of times but it never stuck. Maybe your video will do the trick! I can find BEADGBF all over the fretboard- good trick for remembering the location of all the notes (I then just have to fill in the #'s and flats.) Yes, these lessons and your detailed answers in this forum are pure gold!

Still not sure about that captca thing but it is what it is. Technically speaking, once you confirm your session, unless someone physically jumps on my computer, all should be good. They definitely need to ease up on that a bit. LOL- just went to hit post and guess what..."Click on every car you see (yet again.)" Really? (;

Thanks again!