View post (Guitar Exibition)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/18/2003 11:40 pm
I agree with most of what people are saying on here. I wouldn't do it with a good guitar at first, and I profusely recommend strap locks. This trick is actually not that hard and there isn't much to doing it correctly. I can actually do it with my bass, so weight really isn't a factor. You can swing a 10 pound bucket of water around and around, and all long as your have enough momentum. No water falls out; it's the same with this trick. When I first wanted to do it myself, I was a little timid too. Then one day I studying guys doing over and over and said screw it. If I hurt myself oh well, I have done stupider things. Tried it and did it right the first time. :cool: I'm the shizit, I know. Just kidding. Ok, here's a sort of step by step way of doing it.

1. Take your strumming hard and grab the top of the headstock, and lay your other hand down to your waist. ! Lay your other hand down to your waist! Unless you want the guitar to come back and cut it off. :) Tip: As an extra safely precaution you should arch your shoulder up a bit.

2. Now swing the hand holding the guitar back with a lot of force. Not too hard to where you can't control yourself, and not too soft to where it doesn't have enough momentum to carry itself around. Momentum is the key, if you push it hard enough. It will go all the way around. If not, well it's not going to work. OK, now when you swing you hand back you extend it all the way out to where you upper back has to bend forward. <~VERY IMPORTANT KEY This will protect your head and give the strap/guitar a nice rounded surface (your back) to swing on. Don't bend over to far or you'll lose your guitar, about 10-15 degree from straight is enough. Pretty much a natural bend, you should be able to figure this out.

3. The guitar should swing itself all the way around. The strap should flow between your neck and shoulder. Remember to arch the shoulder, if you relax it the guitar will fall to the floor. Dejan, you may have forgot this. Always, you will feel it, so once you feel it going around. Bend your upper back up and the guitar should rest where it was before. You don't have to catch it with a free hand. For one the momentum shouldn't have enough swing itself back up your shoulder, plus the weight on the guitar should hold it down. Tip: When you swing your arm all the way out, you should pull it back within a split second. You will feel it, and know when to straighten yourself out. If you’re still unsure, you can keep your upper body bend over a bit. But if you do it like this live, it looks rather goofy. hehe

Very Important: Don't be timid if you try this, your must push the guitar back rather hard. It's better to push it too hard than too soft. :D

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 01-18-2003 at 05:44 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.