Song recommendations with lots of strumming

susanostephan
susanostephan
04/28/2021 1:54 pm

Hi everyone, I take guitar lessons with my children 11 and 13-year-olds. They prefer songs with lots of strumming and that's how we practice together. Can anyone recommend some songs to learn? Some of the best for us have been-- Bad Moon Rising, Take It Easy, Lying Eyes, Have You Ever Seen the Rain.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/28/2021 7:48 pm
Originally Posted by: susanostephan

Hi everyone, I take guitar lessons with my children 11 and 13-year-olds. They prefer songs with lots of strumming and that's how we practice together. Can anyone recommend some songs to learn? Some of the best for us have been-- Bad Moon Rising, Take It Easy, Lying Eyes, Have You Ever Seen the Rain.

Dolly - Jolene

That song is a strumfest. My wife wanted to learn it and it is otherwise a simple song to learn but the strumming is on the more brisk side. I told my wife at this stage, she might be wrestling with keeping up. However, if everyone wants a nice, brisk strumming song, it's an easy one otherwise.

America-Sister Golden Hair

A great strumming song but it does take comfort with barre chords as the bulk of the strumming stuff is in the form of those chords types.

Cat Stevens - Father and Son

Great song with some really nice chord variations. With that in mind, it takes a little memory to keep the chord changes straight. Not all that hard and a really nice song to play.

# 2
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/28/2021 8:30 pm

Also, you might try Sweet Home Chicago (made easy), Brown eyed Girl, and many of the Dylan songs available here.

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/28/2021 9:38 pm

Here are some that I enjoy. [br][br]

Driving my life away - Eddie Rabbit

Simple man ( made easy) - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Wide open spaces ( made easy) - Dixie chics

Let your love flow- Bellamy brothers. ( Kinda fast this one) [br][br]

Some of them have many guitar parts. Just choose the single guitar part or usually guitar 1 and you'll be fine. [br][br]

One that I just learned, but it's not taught on here is Chris Stapleton's "Starting Over". You can find it on YouTube, but if not let me know and I'll send you the chord progression if GT is ok with it. It's not as hard as it sounds. Have fun.

[br]Moe

# 4
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
04/30/2021 2:36 pm
Originally Posted by: susanostephan

Here`s some that I enjoy :

Country Roads ( Denver)

Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise ( Eagles)

Heart of Gold, Comes a Time ( Neil Young)

Into the Mystic ( Van Morrison )

Dead Flowers ( Stones)

Rainy Day People ( Lightfoot)

I`d love you to Want Me ( Lobo)

Runaway Train ( Soul Asylum)

It Never Rains in Southern California ( Hammond)

# 5
susanostephan
susanostephan
04/30/2021 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone for the wonderful recommendations! I am excited to learn these!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.