Certain Songs are no longer available; Why?

JLStewart
Full Access
JLStewart
Full Access
04/24/2021 9:47 am

I noticed that songs which were available in the past are no longer available. For example Tom Petty; Refugee or Aretha Franklin; Respect

Is this a technical issue? Or, did guitar tricks not have the permission or rights to continue posting these songs?

What other songs have been taken down without any notice?

Thank you

# 1
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/24/2021 12:53 pm

There was some notice but not much explanation of the process or actual reasons they couldn't/ chose not to retain the rights. Sucks aye. I was half way through 4 of them. ??

# 2
JLStewart
Full Access
JLStewart
Full Access
04/24/2021 6:32 pm

Thank you for the feedback and I agree, very disappointing. I would like GT Admin to help all of us understand how these decisions are made and was this a one-time occurance or is this what we should expect going forward?.

To your point, Spending time learning a song and not knowing it will be removed within X-amount of time is lack of communicaton to subscribers? Maybe GT Admin/Leadership can provide advanced notice as to which songs will be removed by X-Date, so users don't waste time learning a song which will soon be taken down. Or..a user may choose to quickly learn the song as it will soon to be removed.

GT Amin & Leadership, we kindly request addtional information and ideas to advanced communications.

Thank you,

# 3
bradshawrobert
Full Access
bradshawrobert
Full Access
04/29/2021 4:53 am

Where was the notice? I just tried to look up two Billy Idol songs (Rebel Yell and White Wedding) and they are missing!

I agree with JLStewart, a little more communication and transparency would not only be nice but super helpful.

# 4
bradshawrobert
Full Access
bradshawrobert
Full Access
04/29/2021 5:02 am

Ah man! Boston's 'Don't Look Back' is gone too :(

...although there was some out of sync audio on that lesson.

# 5
deanbadam
Full Access
deanbadam
Full Access
04/29/2021 9:35 am

I'm a new user so can't speak to longer term history, but there was about a months notice if not longer. It was a stickie post in the forums listing the songs that GuitarTricks was due to lose the license for.

There was quite a lot of heat in that thread, but I'm not sure what people think that they could have done differently. I'd anticipate that they're negotiating the rights to songs leading up to contractual anniversaries. Sometimes negotiations fall over late in the piece and they had to work with the timeframes remaining.

Subscribers were advised of the impending lessosn being lost in advance, also that new music/lessons were being prepared.

Seemed fair.

# 6
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/29/2021 11:11 am

I think only thing anyone wants is info on the contractual anniversaries? The longer we can plan for it the better. Especially whennrealised can lose such a big list.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.