I am having problems when I don't use a Tuner

adrian_
adrian_
04/24/2021 6:51 am

Salutations!

I understand that I can use YouTube for tuning, but what if I don't have internet? I sometimes lose the internet suddenly, in the middle of my digital lessons. I also know that I can tune without a digital tuner. I press the fifth fret lower e string and hit the a string and listen to it until it's sounding the same as the lower E string I'm fretting. The problem is, what if my lower E string is out of tune?

Thank you.

- Mikael

Because of GuitarTricks, I got to the level that I could play Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles in just eleven months! The instructors here are so good at teaching guitar! - Mikael_Z_Guitarist_123

[u]My YouTube Channel[/u]

Just click the "My YouTube Channel" button if you want to check it out.

# 1
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
04/24/2021 12:55 pm

I recommend fender tuner. Free download to your phone. Really handy

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2021 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Mikael_Z_Guitarist_123

The problem is, what if my lower E string is out of tune?

Great question.

You either have to use an external reference (a tuner, or other instrument that you know is in tune) or you have to have perfect pitch or pitch recall.

Tinpan's answer is a great solution: download a tuner app to your phone. But you can also buy a physical tuner. It's a great tool. Most of the little headstock ones are now $20 or less.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnarkST-8--snark-st-8-clip-on-super-tight-chromatic-tuner?mrkgadid=3308753124

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
FSTech
FSTech
04/25/2021 12:01 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

The problem is, what if my lower E string is out of tune?

Great question.

You either have to use an external reference (a tuner, or other instrument that you know is in tune) or you have to have perfect pitch or pitch recall.

Tinpan's answer is a great solution: download a tuner app to your phone. But you can also buy a physical tuner. It's a great tool. Most of the little headstock ones are now $20 or less.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnarkST-8--snark-st-8-clip-on-super-tight-chromatic-tuner?mrkgadid=3308753124

Hope that helps!

^--- This or get a tuner app on your phone. I used Ultimate Tuner and have used Pro Guitar Tuner

# 4
adrian_
adrian_
04/26/2021 9:31 am

Thanks for the great advice! Are there other ways to tune your guitar aside from downloading a guitar tuning app on your gadget and buying a clamp-on tuner? I just want to know the other guitar tuning devices so that I can chose between them all. Thank you again for the great advice!

Because of GuitarTricks, I got to the level that I could play Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles in just eleven months! The instructors here are so good at teaching guitar! - Mikael_Z_Guitarist_123

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2021 11:10 am

Are there other ways to tune your guitar aside from downloading a guitar tuning app on your gadget and buying a clamp-on tuner?

[p]Yes! Two of the oldest ways to do it are completely mechanical, require no batteries or electrical power.

Pitch pipe

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kratt/SN10-Guitar-Pitch-Pipe-1274228071684.gc

Tuning fork

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario-Planet-Waves/Tuning-fork.gc

These great old school options require you to learn pitch matching. They don't explicitly show you that you are in tune, you have to judge for yourself by the sound of the tuner & the sound of your guitar string. But they provide a reliable, external reference source for tuning.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
adrian_
adrian_
04/26/2021 12:39 pm

Oh! How do the pitch pipe and tuning fork work?

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2021 4:30 pm

You blow into the pitch pipe & it sounds the pitch of the open strings on the guitar. Then you have to adjust the guitar string tuners until they match the notes sounding on the pitch pipe. Hence, pitch matching.

Same for the tuning fork. You tap the fork & it rings at a pitch of E. Then you have to adjust your guitar E string tuner until it matches the tuning fork pitch.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
04/27/2021 2:08 am

Pitch pipe

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kratt/SN10-Guitar-Pitch-Pipe-1274228071684.gc

Tuning fork

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario-Planet-Waves/Tuning-fork.gc

These great old school options require you to learn pitch matching. They don't explicitly show you that you are in tune, you have to judge for yourself by the sound of the tuner & the sound of your guitar string. But they provide a reliable, external reference source for tuning.

Hope that helps!

I still have my A440 somewhere. Great little device. lol

# 9
adrian_
adrian_
04/27/2021 7:14 am

You blow into the pitch pipe & it sounds the pitch of the open strings on the guitar. Then you have to adjust the guitar string tuners until they match the notes sounding on the pitch pipe. Hence, pitch matching.

Same for the tuning fork. You tap the fork & it rings at a pitch of E. Then you have to adjust your guitar E string tuner until it matches the tuning fork pitch.

Oh okay. I'll probably buy the tuning fork. Thank you for dropping by Christopher!

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/27/2021 10:58 am

Oh okay. I'll probably buy the tuning fork. Thank you for dropping by Christopher!

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/27/2021 4:33 pm

Just adding a bit of additional info to great suggestions; along to the tuning fork, also try to hum in key and pitch to the fork. It's a good way to get used to that actual note. This is an idea taken from how to learn to sing in pitch and on key. Learn to sing the note. Eventually you'll get used to that note and pitch and in a pinch, be able to use your voice to at least get close. To be honest, after yers of playing, I hve what an E sounds like drilled in to my head but always just a little shrp...go figure. Like anything, it takes a little time and practice and I'd do well to practice what I preach too.

# 12
adrian_
adrian_
05/03/2021 12:33 am

Thank you for the additional info Jeff!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.