Help me put my pedals in order..

Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/15/2003 9:37 pm
This is what I have...

Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica (stock)
Amplifier - Marshall 5210 50 watt amp (Solid State)

My Pedals:
Blue Tube Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Yamaha Compression

Before I got the Blue Tube pedal I was running from the send on my amp to the Wah to the Compression and back to the return.. I used the channel on the amp for the Distortion..

I tried running the Blue Tube through the loop but lost some of the warmth... I ran the Guitar though the Blue Tube into my wah and into the front of the amp and left the compression in the loop... a little better..

I ran all the pedals between the guitar and the amp and didn't use the loop... ( blue tube into wah into compression). I really didn't like what the compression did to the wah out side of the loop..

The problem I have is that the wah with compression sounds great when I doing certain songs but sounds better inline with the guitar in others..

I was told that the wah should never be used in the effect loop because it would lose some of its tone...

I use the compression to boost my solos over my regular channel.. works good..

Help...

2001 Yahmaha Pacifica 112, Blue Tube Distortion,Yahmaha Compression,DOD FX7 Effect Processor,Dunlop Wah,1969 Traynor YGM-3 Amplifier
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/16/2003 5:43 pm
Well, most people prefere the Wah-pedal right after the guitar, or specificaly before the distortion.

Anyway, it's a matter of personal taste... You should give it a little thought before you setup your stuff... Try to imagine , the wah after the dist is going to deal with a distorted wave... i.e. Wah-wahing a distorted sound.
If you flipped them, you're distorting a wah-wah wave..

And so on with your compression and other stuff... Don't just depend on your imagination... Try experimenting lots of setups practicaly , so you can get the best out of your gear.
# 2
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/16/2003 10:07 pm
Thanks for the help... I never thought of it that way...

I'll move my Wah to the front..

I'll try a few different setups tonight and write back..

2001 Yahmaha Pacifica 112, Blue Tube Distortion,Yahmaha Compression,DOD FX7 Effect Processor,Dunlop Wah,1969 Traynor YGM-3 Amplifier
# 3
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/17/2003 3:09 pm
Boy that made a difference.. thanks for the help..

I have the pedals set out this way..

guitar - wah - compression - blue tube distortion - amp

I'm not using the loop right now...

# 4
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
01/18/2003 7:29 am
sounds like a good setup...might want to play with the compression too...think of the signal being compressed as soon as it hits that pedal....

Guitar:

compressed signal into wah then distortion

or Guitar:

Wah: compressed signal into distortion

or Guitar:

Wah - distortion - compress the whole thing...
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 5
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/18/2003 4:25 pm
I think I'll try compressing the whole thing.. I'll run the compression through my effects loop..

I played last night and had a hell of a time getting that Blue Tube Pedal set up to sound good in a club.. I've only had it a few days so it is still a learning curve..mostly playing with the output level and matching it with the clean channel on my amp.

I changed the tube in it last night 'cause I thought it was clipping and wondered if the tube was going bad.. I had a new 12AX7 (Sovtek) in my old Traynor head that I swapped in seems to help.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.