hot for teachers

gernm18
gernm18
01/15/2003 3:59 am
great song
i've been trying to learn it but the beginning the tapping part
it's really really fast (240) does anybody here can play it?
sometimes when i tap the other strings sound too
like the whole guitar make a noice
German
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/15/2003 9:52 am
Well, tapping is relatively an easy technique no matter what the bpm are... You should check out some Steve Vai's tapping, the guy's amazing!

Anyway, you should realy pay attention to the muting .

For strings above the one your playing (lower strings I mean) , use your picking hand's palm or your fretting hand's thumb.
For strigns below the one your playing (higher strings) , lay down your fretting hand's fingers on them slightly ... or use the right hand's free fingers (if you hold the pick between index and thumb, you'll have 3 fingers free for muting purposes).

If you already know about muting, you should be carefull to tap very precise, your tapping finger (or pick) should be very accurate and have a strong attack.

Also lower string ation will help with tapping , and if you have a comressor put it on.

Good Luck !
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/15/2003 4:05 pm
Yeah dude, I realy like the way Michael Romeo inserts tapping in his playing ... His technique is horribly awsome.
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/15/2003 4:12 pm
Yeah, I've seen clips from his instructional vid , his effortless way of playing is quite similar to Malmsteen, but Romeo is even better .

The middle solo in "Sea of lies" has one of my favorite tapping moments I ever heard.
# 4
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
01/15/2003 10:51 pm
I find tapping very hard to understand. I know the basic stuff like the Eruption tapping lick and Nuno´s tapping part on He Man Woman Hater (guitar solo with a metronome part) but it´s basiclly tapping on one strings. There´s just a couple licks that I tap on more than one string like John Myungs bas taping on Metropolis wich I transformed to guitar and a few more lick. But it´s a amazing technique wich I would really like to explore more so if anyone can give me tips where I can find good tapping lessons and licks, please write it down our e-mail me.

Thanx
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/16/2003 5:32 pm
Tapping is a general word for using the picking hand for hammering and/or pulling . i.e. legato..

You should try to classify them, so you can easily master each techninque individualy.

1- Pick Tapping .. I'm sure you all know it.. Like Metallica's "one" , or Satch's "surfing with the alien", basicaly for fast repeated stuff .

2- One finger tapping ... The most widely used , like Van Halen's.

3- Multi-finger Tapping ... Steve Vai , do I need to say more ?!

4- Two Handed Tapping ... A lot of bassists use this one...An easy guitar example is Satch's "midnight" .

Of course you can always incorporate some bends , slides , vibratos or do the sweep-tap trick for extended arp's...

You don't have to learn all of these at once, and of course they are not in any particular order, begin with what seems easier or more usefull to you... Set your goal , practice slowly & precisely.

# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/16/2003 6:06 pm
Rules are everywhere, but who said you have follow them?

:D

I never follow any rules anyway ... hmmmm.. not realy never , only follow them when I learn or practice. LOL

[Edited by SLY on 01-16-2003 at 12:08 PM]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.