View post (An Open Letter to Guitar Tricks)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
04/10/2021 1:49 pm

I take it a lot of this is stemming from the removal of some songs in the library.

Here's how I look at it. I joined GT to learn how to play the guitar. That's how they market themselves and the business they are in. The fact that they have a song library never really weighed in to the equation. I looked at it as a bonus. When you break down the monthly cost of an annual membership it is by far the best value out there for learning how to play an instrument. Of course, learning songs is what makes it fun, but before you learn songs you need to have an adequate bundle of tools in your guitar toolbox at your disposal in order to do so. GT has provided me such tools that I can go on the Internet and find the songs I want to play if it's not on their listings.

With regards to the current songs in their library, I gotta say I honestly don't see a lack of diversity. If you click on "Sort and Filter" there are many categories populated by men and women of both colors. With the exception of Country and Classical. That however has nothing to do with GT. There just weren't many black and female artists who were showcased back then. Also guitar really didn't become a forefront instrument until around the 60's, 70's, and 80's due to performers like Hendrix, Vaughn, Van Halen etc. I'm willing to bet the dominant membership on this site is white men in their forties, fifties, and sixties whose prime musical influences was music from that time period and that's why most of the music requested and represented in the library make up that demographic. I'm not saying this is right. It's just is what it is. People want to play the music and artists that they are familiar with, be it the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, or Johnny Cash.

If anything, I'd like to see more current mainstream music put in the database, but again that gets back to licensing issues which I'm not even gonna pretend to understand and that discussion has been beaten to death.

Faith I do admire your passion and support your right to state your opinion, but I agree with Moosehockey and Tinpans viewpoints. This is a guitar teaching site. Learn the tools and techniques and then you should be able to play whatever you want or in your case play your own creations, which you've done quite well at.

Incidentally, I'm currently learning two songs right now. Sheryl Crows "First cut is the deepest" and Jewel's " Foolish Games". Both female artist, songwriters, and singers and the lessons are taught by two female instructors. Lisa and Caren. In choosing to learn these songs none of that ever occured to me. I just like the songs and the artists who performed them. Like Tinpan said we listen with our ears.

One other note with regards to diversity. I mentioned country earlier. Thats a genre I now mostly listen to. TJ Osbourne of the Brothers Osbourne country rock band recently just came out as Gay. Could that ever happen say back in Chet Atkins day?

There would have been an uproar. I mean twenty years ago the Dixie Chicks were banned from that industry just for speaking out against the war. Diversity is coming, just never at the pace society wants it. I like what Lynn said. You just can't force this stuff.

Ok I've said my peace, time to learn some more tools to put in my toolbox.

Peace out everyone.

Moe