View post (An Open Letter to Guitar Tricks)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/09/2021 8:19 pm

Nobody is talking about excluding what is here now, only including some more sources.

I mean really, no New female artists?! How can that be representitive of modern music?! Asking to have some women, represented in the line up, is not unreasonable. In fact it is over due, just like it is all over the world we live in. Faith is not suggesting that we set up mind police to dictate a distribution of required songs to learn (You can't have your Hendrix until you finish your Sanatra!). She just wants to play some songs that reflect her gender. I mean how many of you guys would like to only learn "Stand By My Man"? Is that so hard to understand?! There are also other people who are likewise excluded.... PEOPLE OF COLOR, who are directly responsable for all this guitar music we are so enthralled with. Just where did you think Rock and Roll, Jazz, and the Blues came from.... Frank Sanatra and Roy Rodgers?!

She is simply pointing out a glaring hole in the music/ materials that GT provides to it's users. For example, I am not a big country fan. I hear twangy and I start looking over my shoulder for who wants to kick my ass. It is a visseral response born of PTSD of the 60s. However, GT has extensive Country Music lessons sections included in the cirriculum. I don't feel threatened or excluded by GT teaching mearl haggard, but I clearly see that GT needs to start including women and artists of color. Otherwise they are excluding more than half the worlds population. I REPEAT...MORE THAN HALF THE POPULATION!

I have no doubt that here are a lot of women and people of color who want to learn the guitar. Just look at the growing number of women who are currently signed up to GT. They all want what you all want... which is to learn to play music they can realate to. You can't really claim to be spreading the humanities, while excluding large sections of Humanity from the cirriculum. Sounds a lot like, what is good for Jim Crow, is good for JANE CROW thinking! Not Jimi Hendrix calling the to world "I am going to let my freak flag fly.....!"

I say everybody will benifit if we all can find ways to "Let our freek flags fly!!!!

Captcha is a total pain in the........