View post (An Open Letter to Guitar Tricks)

View thread

faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
04/08/2021 6:37 pm

An Open Letter to Guitar Tricks

I enjoy Guitar Tricks and find it has a lot of value. But it's hard not to notice that GT overwhelmingly features songs by white men in your song selection.

[br]I'm posting this to request that Guitar Tricks make a commitment to equal representation and diversity by including equal numbers of songs by women and by people of color in your catalog. Given that new songs being added keep being 100% male and almost 100% white, I don't see any effort being made at all to rectify this problem.

[br]Please don't answer that GT is just responding to "what people want" and that if I have a particular song I want included, I should request it (which is the answer I got when I emailed about this). That's the excuse that's always used to sidestep taking action on issues of social justice and equality. It's not my responsibility to diversify your song catalog, it's yours.

People request what they're aware of, and if songs by women and people of color aren't visible on the platform, it further marginalizes and makes people less likely to think of those songs, and thus marginalizes artists who aren't white males.

[br]The world of guitar and music in general is so much bigger and more interesting than just white men and I hope that GT does a better job of reflecting the beautiful diversity that is truly representative of music.

I've said my piece. I hope it makes a difference.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."