Can a new guitar player do a Setup?

ShortFuze
ShortFuze
04/06/2021 11:42 pm

I just purchased my new SG Muse a few days ago.

Since it is new in box, I am sure it can use some adjustments so it plays properly.

I am wondering if a new player like myself, can do a basic setup, or if anyone is aware of a good & thorough video or documention on the full process.

I have all the major tools, Fret files, polish and erasers. Radius gauge, action ruler, feeler gauges, fretboard guards, grinding stone. Rocker leveling tool, sandpaper, notched straight edge. etc.

I am just a little concerned about trying to do anything myself, cause I don't want to mess it up. I know I can take it somewhere. to be done, but I wouldn't learn anything that way... but is that the best option for a new player, and worry about that sort of stuff later on down the road?

Any suggestions from veteran guitarists?

Epiphone SG Muse

Jackson Dinky Minion JS1X

Rogue Rocketeer RR50 7/8 Scale

Squier Affinity Telecaster Deluxe

Squier Paranormal Cabronita Telecaster Thinline

Squire Bullet Mustabg HH

Line-6 Spider-V 240 MKII Amp

Buying more guitars, will make me a better player right?

# 1
deanbadam
Full Access
deanbadam
Full Access
04/07/2021 9:56 am

Don't have any help for you here but was curious why as a new player do you have all that gear for tuning/setting up/rebuilding guitars?

# 2
ShortFuze
ShortFuze
04/07/2021 11:34 am

Well ... cause I am an engineer in my daily life. and i like to take stuff apart and learn how it works. I am in the process of putting together a cheap kit guitar (from leojaymz.com) which will need a setup once fully assembled, but my new Muse SG may very likely need it as well.

but it doesnt really make sense to take it to someone to do it, uless I have to.. cause then I learn nothing, so really would like to learn how to do it myself, not just for the health of my instrument but for own personal knowledge.

Epiphone SG Muse

Squire Bullet Mustabg HH

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
04/07/2021 1:34 pm

I think you can do so. You will learn a lot about what makes your guitar. I highly suggest StewMac videos re: set up. They have a YouTube channel. Also, articles on their website and Dan Edelman (I think this is his last name) has written what is considered "the book" on guitar maintence. His tips and tricks are very helpful.

welcome to guitar tricks!

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4
ShortFuze
ShortFuze
04/07/2021 1:43 pm

excellent.

I will seek out those resources you suggested

Epiphone SG Muse

Squire Bullet Mustabg HH

# 5
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
04/07/2021 1:58 pm

This is perhaps far more than you need but this DVD set teaches one everything one could ever possibly want to know about guitar setup and maintenance.

Learn and Master Guitar Setup and Meanintenence with Greg Voros.

Greg Voros is the head of guitar repair at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. He has probably worked on ever who's who guitar in the world. Everyone that I know that has watched this course raves about it.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/07/2021 4:27 pm

HERE IS A DISCRIPTION OF HOW TO SET UP A GUITAR by OUR RESIDENT GUITAR TECH.....

[br]#3

04/18/2019[br]11:20:51 AM[br]The details of a 'Set-Up' aren't standardized, so it can be hard to compare the charges of different repair-techs. However, I can explain my process and charges. When I perform a set-up, I adjust everything that affects playability: the action, the intonation, the pickups, the tuning-machines (the friction between the worm-shaft and the tuner's housing, and re-torquing the mounting-nuts/-screws), and I polish the frets. My set-up does not include fret-milling; that's a separate job - but if there's a loose fret, or a single fret that's too high, I may 'throw it in' without charge. I also test all the instrument's electrical functions, clean and de-oxidize the pots and switches as needed, and alert the owner to any additional problems that need to be addressed.

To set the action, you must adjust four components: the truss-rod, the height of each bridge-saddle, the height of each nut-slot (to set each string's height above the 1st fret), and the pickup-to-string distance(s) - it's necessary to do this, because when the pickups are adjusted too close to the strings, this can increase fret-rattle, which will 'throw off' your analysis, when setting the action.

This implies that there's a specific, necessary sequence, for performing the set-up adjustments: e.g. you can't do anything without having the correct strings on the instrument, because the specific tension of your chosen set of strings will determine everything you do, subsequently. Likewise, you must make an initial truss-rod adustment before your initial action-adjustment at the bridge, followed by 'bouncing' back and forth between the two adjustments (as needed), to 'spiral' into the correct action.

The sequence of adjustments which I use on an electric guitar (without a vibrato) is as follows:

[br]* Check the mounting-fasteners, lubricate, and adjust the tuning machines, while installing a new set of strings.

* Check the string spacing and the 'fit' of the strings in the nut.

* Stretch the new strings and tune the instrument.

* Lower the pickups to eliminate magnetic interference.

* Check the neck-relief and make the initial truss-rod adjustment.

* Check the overall action and make the initial bridge adjustment.

* Check the depth of the individual string slots in the nut; check for fret irregularity, and fingerboard warpage.

* Recut the nut-slots as needed, leaving some slight leeway.

* Check the intonation and make the initial adjustment.

* Fine-tune the action and truss-rod adjustment.

* Fine-tune the depth of the nut slots.

* Fine-tune the intonation.

* Adjust the pickups.

* Clean the new strings.

Nominally, I charge $80/hour, for most of my work - however, I use 'flat rate' pricing for most of my routine jobs: I charge for 1½ hours ($120) for setting up a guitar or electric bass that is not equipped with a vibrato-bridge (or -tailpiece); I charge 2 hours ($160) for vibrato-equipped instruments, and 2½ hours ($200) for guitars equipped with a Floyd Rose (or other 'double-locking') vibrato-system. Unfortunately (for me), these charges are not 'padded' at all - it frequently takes me substantially more than the 'billable' time, to complete these set-up procedures, so I rarely make anything like my nominal rate. That's just life, for a reapir-tech, if they're conscientious in their work...

Stephen White

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7
Herman10
Herman10
04/08/2021 12:18 am

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/leg_gtr_1992_Fender_Guitars_and_Basses.pdf

here you find a good lead on how to set up electric guitars.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.