When to move on to fundamentals 2

sobolewski678
sobolewski678
03/30/2021 10:42 pm

Hello fellow guitar players!

I was looking for some general advice now that I am appraoching the 6-month mark of starting guitar.

About a month ago (or maybe a little longer than that) I finished the guitar fundamentals 1 course and was about to move on to guitar fundamentals 2, but decided I thought I would try my hand at some songs I was interested in learning and within my means of guitar playing. (All For You- Sister Hazel; Let it be; Jumper- Third Eye Blind; Starting Over-Chris Stapelton as a few examples for songs I have learned to be able to play decently and with little error and taught me some cool strumming patterns and chord variations)

Through doing this I have started to hone my skills of some of the chords/chord changes that are taught in fundamentals 1 (I do not want to move on to fundamentals 2 without having pretty well mastered what was taught in fundamentals 1).

I'm now at a crossroads where I'm realizing even if I can play (with a few buzzes here and there) some songs I am not able to sing along.

Is singing along to the song while I am playing being too unrealistic for my tenure? Should I push along to Fundamentals 2 now that the songs in Fundametals 1 have been pretty well mastered at this point? (Again, a few buzzes here-and-there but I can play each song decently well).

Thanks for advance on reading the novel :) just looking to make sure I don't move forward too fast or skip crucial steps in learing the guitar!

Austin

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/31/2021 6:12 pm

Hey there! You are more than welcome to start trying to sing along with the songs you've already learned. You can make it part of your practice routine. The great thing about Guitar Tricks is that you can go at your own pace. So move through the program how you see fit!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2021 11:18 am

Hey & welcome! Congrats on finishing GF1!

Originally Posted by: sobolewski678

I'm now at a crossroads where I'm realizing even if I can play (with a few buzzes here and there) some songs I am not able to sing along.[/quote][p]This is simply a matter of repetitious practice. It takes individual learners different amounts of time to automate the skills required to play while singing.

But this is exactly what has to happen for every one: you have to repeat the process as many times as necessary for it to become second nature to you. Especially when you are trying to do 2 things at once. At least one of them has to be so automatic that you can think of playing or starting a song & your brain & hands take care of that physical process while you can focus on some other task, like singing.

[quote=sobolewski678]Should I push along to Fundamentals 2 now that the songs in Fundametals 1 have been pretty well mastered at this point? (Again, a few buzzes here-and-there but I can play each song decently well).

Absolutely, yes. Just keep practicing anything you want to become automatic until it is. :)[br][br]Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
jeanmi.tchell191
jeanmi.tchell191
04/20/2021 4:30 am

This instructor-led course will focus on the powerful Splunk platform. Learn about searching and reporting commands as well as creating knowledge objects.

Topics:

Using transforming commands and visualizations[br]Filtering and formatting results[br]Correlating events[br]Creating knowledge objects

KrogerFeed

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.