View post (Sweep picking - is it ok to rock your hand?)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
01/27/2003 12:30 pm
Thanks for the advice. As for songs, well I don't really know what sort of music you like other than it probably involves lots of clever shredding. That being the case I should recommend Baptism of Fire by Glenn Tipton (former Judas Priest guitarist), there are lots of hoarse screechy vocals (not really my scene) but the title track is an instrumental with Billy Sheehan (Bass) and Carmen Apice (I think on Drums) and it kicks tons of ass. It's kind of based on Holst's the Planets Mars theme and has spooky organ in it too. The bass and guitar are totally jaw dropping both players are cutting edge of their instruments.
If you like Jazz check out Shaun Baxter's Jazz Metal if you can get hold of it. I listened to Joe Satriani for years (and Satch is possibly my fave guitarist) before I heard this album but was still shell-shocked by the guy's virtuosity and abillity to change keys and timing and superb phrasing and tone. If you want something really beautiful to listen to try "Exit.. STage Left" by Rush,
lots of people dont' like Geddy Lee's voice but I think I can live with it happily in view of the amazing Lead Work by Lifeson, check out La Villa and Xanadu, taste, style, virtuosity my fave guitar solos ever.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?