Hello Everyone

ScottDVV62
Full Access
ScottDVV62
Full Access
03/21/2021 5:18 pm

I attempted to learn the guitar a few years ago by taking lessons, but it never amounted to anything. I had two different teachers for a total of four years of lessons, but did not accomplish what I set out to do. My teachers could play well themselves, but did not have the same ability to teach. The guitar never made any kind of sense to me. However, I love the instrument and am giving it ome more shot here. I am a senior citizen but you would not know it from my energy and attitude. I am open to advice on how to go about learning and welcome any comments. My goal is to be able to play in front of others for fun and entertainment, and I also may decide to form or join an old school rock band if I play well enough. I like both acoustic and electric guitar and grew up listening to the greats: Jimi Hendrix,Santana, Black Sabbath, Rare Earth,Grand Funk Railroad, Led Zeppelin, Cream, and whoever else could rock. It feels great to be learning alongside others who have the same passion for the guitar. Wish me luck.

# 1
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
03/22/2021 8:44 am

You'll do great! I would just start at the beginning, with the Fundamentals 1 even though you have some prior knowledge. It's amazing all the stuff that's covered there. Sounds like you have a great musical knowledge background when it comes to the greats, too.

Welcome!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 2
ScottDVV62
Full Access
ScottDVV62
Full Access
03/23/2021 7:18 pm

Thanks Susan. Your kind comments gave me hope and inspiration. I did start at the beginning because I am serious. I recently retired so I have the time to put into it now. This is the mpost difficult endeavor I have attempted and will likely be the most rewarding. I love music and want to learn to play it myself. I can already read music and understand some things because I played trumpet in Jr. High. Where are you on your joiurney?

# 3
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
03/23/2021 10:36 pm

I have been working on reading music....getting there. I started guitar last July and the ukulele in November. They have been the most rewarding of anything Ive ever done. I am looking into getting a digital piano next to learn to play that and also help with music theory.

I am sidelined right now though as today I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist. i will be able to play in 6 weeks or so. in the meantime I'lll be warching more of my fundamentals 2 lessons and work on music theory and reading notation.

I'm glad to hear you are so motivted, that attitude will take you far.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 4
ScottDVV62
Full Access
ScottDVV62
Full Access
03/26/2021 3:10 am

Thanks agiain Susan. I will do my best to succeed and know it would be very rewarding. Take is easy on the wrist, and this absence from playing for a while will likely be beneficial. It will give your brain time to assimilate things you have learned and you will get rest at the same time. Take care and let me know of your continued progress.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.