Gratitude for joining this program

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
03/16/2021 12:56 am

Hey everyone,

This isn't so much an introduction, but more me revisiting back when I first started on this website 2 years ago

I remember when I was first trying to learn 'Wish You Were Here' when I was 16 years old (I'm 30 now). I remember mostly learning how to play acoustic from my friends that were very much intermediate. I remember how awkward and uncomfortable the guitar was in my hands and how I actually made my fingers bleed a couple of times from blatantly incorrect technique.

Up to that point, everything I knew was basically discovered from putting the thing in my hands and just playing with it; as uncomfortable and awkward as it was sometimes.

I never really went beyond anything but playing open chords.... Beginner campfire versions of songs, if you will. I stopped playing for a long time after that. I thought maybe guitar just wasn't something I'd ever be good at. The concept of being a proficient rhythm or lead player was over my head. I actually went to playing bass for a long time because I thought it was 'easier' (obviously apples and oranges).

Fast forward a little under 10 years and I started picking a guitar up again and playing a bit; since there just so happened to be a few sitting around at the house I was living in at the time. I actually learned how to play a major barre chord. That was pretty exciting and definitely opened some doors as far as learning how to play rhythm parts by looking up guitar tabs. But again, it never really went beyond that. I was always just in limbo with the limited amount of stuff that I knew.

Fast forward once more to a couple of years ago when I finally started on Guitar Tricks. I watched some of the fundamental videos and quickly figured out that I was at least beyond that. So from there, I dove into the Rock Level 1 course.

I have to say, I wasn't entirely optimistic about how I'd do with this program; since I had failures of trying to learn guitar and bass online on multiple platforms. Prior to Guitar Tricks, I never found information that was presented in a way that was inspiring/motivating and all the concepts offered never seemed to be put together. It resulted in me giving up; time and time again.

Someone who had been playing very beginner/intermediate stuff for years with absolutely no training, Rock Level 1 did start off pretty tame for me. However, once it got into soloing 101, genre studies, and so on, stuff really started to come together. It hasn't been all that easy. I've taken my time with it. Have been patient. Rewatched videos.... etc.

almost 2 years have gone by, and I'm now in Rock Level 2. I have to say, the Lead Secrets chapter didn't quite click with me. I'll have to revisit that one, along with soloing 101. But for me, Rock 2 got really exciting when I got into the advanced level Rock theory. I actually just finished the Hendrix style lessons and man... It just hit me how far I've come with all of this. Not only is my mind blown by how effective this course has been. But I'm also blown away by discovering what I'm actually capable of.

I'll stop writing so much lol.... But I'll just leave it at saying that joining Guitar Tricks was bar none of the best decisions I've ever made. And for anyone just getting started, you have absolutely come to the right place!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2021 12:06 pm
Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

It just hit me how far I've come with all of this. Not only is my mind blown by how effective this course has been. But I'm also blown away by discovering what I'm actually capable of.

Great post! Thanks for writing this & congrats on you achievement so far.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
03/17/2021 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

It just hit me how far I've come with all of this. Not only is my mind blown by how effective this course has been. But I'm also blown away by discovering what I'm actually capable of.

Great post! Thanks for writing this & congrats on you achievement so far.

Thank you so much! I'm definitely looking forward to the future!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.