Martin

bbriant
bbriant
03/02/2021 10:40 am

has anyone experiance of the Martin Lx1r.

In the reviews I have seen it has a nice tone. But what I what to know is wether it is durable and will last a few years?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/04/2021 7:23 pm

This is a great question. Martin is renown for their guitars. But We haven't had personal experience with this particular one. Anyone else have any tips?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/05/2021 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: bbriant

has anyone experiance of the Martin Lx1r.

In the reviews I have seen it has a nice tone. But what I what to know is wether it is durable and will last a few years?

Close. I did get my wife the Martin LXK2 (Little Martin) in KOA. We got it March of last year and she hasn't played it a ton as she's a beginner and due to other things, not much chance to play it. I played it a good bit though and loved that little thing.

Baseline is that I've been playing for nearly 40 years now and have had a good number of quality guitars (heck, I have nine as we speak!). I only mention this so you have a sense of experience with someone playing the instrument.

Orignally, several years ago, we got my wife the Baby Taylor. Junk. I love Taylor and have a Taylor myself. My full sized acountic is a great guitar. Baby Taylor? Not so much. Poor construction with the neck screwed to the body with a screw through the fretboard!

The Little Martin has by far better construction suing standard acoustic construction. No build shortcuts. To be clear, the wod is HPL which is to say that it is a wood laminate. Not a huge deal though. It plays really, really nicely. I got it from Chicago Music Exchange and they do setups on any guitar they ship. I also had them swap out to size 10 strings for my wife and that was a good decision.

Very, very playable and sounds quite nice for a 3/4 sized guitar. That was the point too...We got it for my wife because a full sized guitar was just too much to handle at first. She likes this one much better than a biggie.

So yep, it was worth every dollar.

# 3
bbriant
bbriant
03/08/2021 9:00 am

Hi thanks for the indepth reply.

I bought one to put on my sofa and cannot stop playing it. I had to change strings because for some unknown reason Martin put the heaviest gauge strings this guitar will take 13-56 I put 11-52 being a short neck this made a big difference in substain.

The only difference i can see with the LX1R from the other small Martins is no electronics so no wires to rattle inside, the build is fantastic most accoustic guitars now are being built using laminates, I believe it is quit an expensive process. I have a LAG guitar made from laminates and for my environment were the Humidity fluctuates daily these guitars are ideal and to clean them just a wipe down with a damp micro cloth..

The sound of the little guitar is beautiful, a little difficult for me to adapt to because i have very long fingers but a brilliant little learners guitar that is good at all types of music.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/08/2021 9:45 pm
Originally Posted by: bbriant

Hi thanks for the indepth reply.

I bought one to put on my sofa and cannot stop playing it. I had to change strings because for some unknown reason Martin put the heaviest gauge strings this guitar will take 13-56 I put 11-52 being a short neck this made a big difference in substain.

The only difference i can see with the LX1R from the other small Martins is no electronics so no wires to rattle inside, the build is fantastic most accoustic guitars now are being built using laminates, I believe it is quit an expensive process. I have a LAG guitar made from laminates and for my environment were the Humidity fluctuates daily these guitars are ideal and to clean them just a wipe down with a damp micro cloth..

The sound of the little guitar is beautiful, a little difficult for me to adapt to because i have very long fingers but a brilliant little learners guitar that is good at all types of music.

Glad you like it. I think it's a bit of a steal for how good it plays. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a beginner and particularly people, like my wife, who don't want to be overpowered by a full sized guitar.

And good on the string change. I'm swapping my full sized Taylor to 10's. I haven't done it yet as I'll need to fiddle with setting up for 10's so I haven't got myself around to that. However, love them on my wife's so it sold me.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.