View post (What distortion pedal?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/01/2021 5:25 pm

Some stuff Billy was known to have used in the 'classic' era were a Big Muff, MXR Distortion (even together) and MXR Phase pedals (90's or 100's). He also used Fender Bassman and Marshal JCM 800 amps.

The Big Muff and Phase 100 seemed to be the most consistent gear.

Like a lot of players back, I think Corgan was pretty lofi with his gear. The other think you have to consider is that even with lofi gear, studeio wizardy does a lot to build a sound, like multiple layers of guitar and panned guitar performances (panned left/panned right). All of this tends to build the 'size' of the sound that sometimes makes the illusion of the tone when it was built on a core tone but with a lot other things done in the studio to make the end state sound.

Something I don't mention cuz it's one of those 'ya, ya, whatever' things but, a friend owned an amp used on a fairly iconic 80's hard rock album. Long story but it was that amp. I played through it. It was certainly an awesome amp...and I can dial in tone pretty well. It still didn't completely sound like the album. It sounded like a great amp with a kernal of tht tone. Other things like layering and the bass tone accompanied the guitar/amp to make what was heard on record.

So, as you chase tone, it's worth aiming for an iconic tone but also keep in mind what it took to get that to sound great on tape.