View post (What distortion pedal?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/01/2021 3:11 am
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I have had trouble with a specific guitar tone in my head, I picture a sound in between fuzz and distortion.[/quote][br]Do you have a reference point? Is there a band, song or guitar tone you can point to & say, "I mean this"?

Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

Problem is, I haven't been able to find a pedal that does that sound properly, I had a White Face Rat and hated it, then got a Boss BD-2 and thought it was good at first but soon got sick of the noise it causes on high distortion.

[br]A great deal of this depends on the guitar & amp. What guitar & amp are you using? How loud are you playing?

Some of what you are describing sounds like it could be handled by a loud amp with a good amount of pre-amp gain, but then just pushed a little harder by just a little bit of overdrive. Typically the more gain you add the more compressed the signal & the weaker the articulation. Sometimes if you stack gain pedals just using 25%-50% of gain from each is enough to get the right combination.

[quote=hunter.kane]I also want it to cut through a mix well.

A mix of what? What style of music are you playing & what instruments are in the mix?

Having said that, what usually cuts through a rock style mix of loud drums, bass & other guitars is mids. And mids are exactly what suffer the more gain you add.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory