Why does Fender have so few guitars with D necks.

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
02/26/2021 12:18 am

I love D necks, they are my favorite neck profile.

However I just went on to Fender's website, clicked "all guitars" (this doesn't count squier, more on that later.) and then filtered it down to guitars with D necks and it came back with only 6 guitars out of the 143 guitars that are currently in production. All of them being close to 2000 dollars.

So, then I clicked on to Squier guitars, and it didn't even have an option to search for neck profiles.

I really just don't understand why they have so few guitars with those necks and why the few that they have are extremely expensive. I just don't get why they don't offer people as many options, I think with every guitar they make they should make the same guitar with other necks, for the most part almost every guitar I look at has a"C."

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/01/2021 6:05 pm

This is a great question. Not sure why Fender does not provide mor guitars with D necks. It might simply be a less popular neck profile. Any other guitar companies have good D neck guitars?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
03/02/2021 3:10 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

This is a great question. Not sure why Fender does not provide mor guitars with D necks. It might simply be a less popular neck profile. Any other guitar companies have good D neck guitars?

I know Warmoth sells necks with any profile you want. Any style you want. Any fret size you want.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/12/2023 2:02 am
#1 Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I love D necks, they are my favorite neck profile.

However I just went on to Fender's website, clicked "all guitars" (this doesn't count squier, more on that later.) and then filtered it down to guitars with D necks and it came back with only 6 guitars out of the 143 guitars that are currently in production. All of them being close to 2000 dollars.

So, then I clicked on to Squier guitars, and it didn't even have an option to search for neck profiles.

I really just don't understand why they have so few guitars with those necks and why the few that they have are extremely expensive. I just don't get why they don't offer people as many options, I think with every guitar they make they should make the same guitar with other necks, for the most part almost every guitar I look at has a"C."

Popularity. The average endo and exo hand isn't shaped for wider shouldered D necks, so understandably Fender tailors its production, sales & marketing to the predominent preference. 

Gretsch make some D necks, but they are generally a shallow D. Very comfortable.

The time has passed when guitar manufacturers could get away with neck profiles which could double as an ersatz cricket bat.

# 4
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
01/22/2024 4:39 pm

I too love the D necks and ever so more with my latest Fender Telecaster Ultra. The neck on this guitar is absolutely wonderful to play. Feels like my 84' MIJ Strat that has same compound radius neck but in a maple fretboard. 

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.