View post (Good guitars from the year you were born)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
02/20/2021 7:06 pm

I was thinking the same thing Matonanjin2. I'd need to take a out a second mortgage if I wanted a 62 strat.

Anyway that particular year and decade wasn't really known for any one spectacular guitar model that I can remember. It was the glam decade. Mostly what you saw were modded up guitars. Think Multi-necks. I took lessons back then (sadly I quit after about a year), but I remember the guitar shops with brands like BC Rich, Kramer and Charvel ( EVH Rip). The one guitar that was released in that decade and made some waves was the Fender HM Strat. The waves were both good and bad however, as they were a radical departure from the original strat with the humbucker (dual single coil) pickups in the bridge. Needless to say the fender purists were not big fans of that back then, but nowadays everyones changing pickups.

On the acoustic side the roundback Ovations were very popular at the time. Their sound was so clean and crisp and once Glen Campbell and Neil Diamond started playing them everyone joined the bandwagon. Martins held their own of course in the eighties.

If you dig online I'm sure you could find any one of the brands I mentioned, but guitars over thirty years old are generally considered vintage so be aware. Not vintage in the way of the 50's or 60's era but some of them might not live up to the price tag.

If you find something post a pic. Happy hunting.

Moe