Different Strumming Patterns

kenwashington1906
kenwashington1906
02/03/2021 11:07 pm

So I am relatively new to playing (about 9 months). I wanted to learn a worship song, Graves into Gardens, and there several YouTube tutorials to learn the song (actual fairly easy chords in the key of B). My question is each YouTube video has a different strumming pattern for the same song and if you look at the actual video of the song by Brandon Lake he the other lead guitarist are using different strumming patterns. How is that possible every tutorial suggest a different strumming pattern and even the two lead guitarist performing actual song doing different things? Again I am relatively new and still learning. Thanks

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
02/04/2021 3:27 am

Hey Ken,

I'm looking at this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwX1f2gYKZ4

This is a basic 6/8 rhythm.

In these worship-type situations, there's going to be a lot of players and not a strict strumming pattern. The goal is to keep it simple and blend in. The more everyone tries to do something unique, the more of a mess it will be.

The basic would be something this:

6 strums (which is just 3 up-downs). D-U-D-U-D-U.

You'd strum all of those, but accent the following in bold:

D-U-D-U-D-U

So you're accenting the first Down, then the last two Ups. But the arm keeps going steadily.

The unaccented notes are just very light strums.

But it's not strict, so don't worry too much.

If you have other links or versions of the song you want to share, post them in a reply and I'll check them out.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
kenwashington1906
kenwashington1906
02/04/2021 9:40 pm

Thanks Carl. This helps a lot.

# 3
caroleharris198
caroleharris198
02/08/2021 7:04 am

Keep your strumming hand moving at all times, even when you’re not hitting any strings for a couple of beats. By doing this, you don’t have to think about when you need to move your strumming hand: it’s moving all the time. Constantly moving your hand also makes it much easier to keep time MyCardStatement Login

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.