View post (Getting back to it)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
02/02/2021 3:11 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

No matter your skill level, any time taken away from playing will result in a little regression. I had a few years off when I started a business and sold all my gear. For a good while, the business worked out (long story). Nontheless, I decided to play again after those few years away. [/quote][p]Becomes a part of your DNA at some point, doesn't it?[br]

Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Though degradation of skill is reletave to the skill level you had when you quit, I can tell you that when I picked it up again, I was shocked at how much I lost. I could go to a guitar store and play and people passing by would at least figure that I know how to play.

Someone I knew (that didn't know I played and he was a great player) was at the local store when I picked up my guitar from a setup saw me playing and we chatted. I was noodling and apoligized that I was so terrible now. He laughed and said, 'Well, you just played a run that had some Aeolian and Dorian stuff. Pretty sure you're not a beginner.'

However, when I quit, I was pretty good at fast shreddy type of stuff. When I picked the guitar back up, wow did I not have that same skill. Not even close.

It's part of the deal; the sloppiness of the return. It happens to everyone.

[/quote]

That's a cool story, mate. I'm sure it felt good when your friend said that to you in the store. Probably took some brass to pick up the guitar and play in the store knowing that it was not going to be what you were used to being able to do before, and you were rewarded for it right away.

[quote=JeffS65]

Honestly, even today, I really just don't have the physical dextarity I used to have but I also have not committed the time to get it back either. It's not how I want to play, really. Rick Beato had a video about this a month or two back about how he was getting back in to skill practicing.

Beato has so many good vids. I have to be careful or I'll go down a Beato trail and never come back out of it. The first time I saw one of his videos I was kind of blown away. So much common sense and such a gift for teaching.

My dexterity wasn't great in the first place, but was improving. I expect that to happen again as I get back into routine practice. My ceiling for dexterity is probably not particularly high as a 55 year old man with slight resting tremors anyway, but I figure guitar is probably very good PT and can only help.

[quote=JeffS65]

No matter how good, it happens to us all. You are in very good company. Keep at it and you'll do great!

The community here is absolutely fantastic company. Always feels like everyone is pulling for each other and the desire to see each person succeed is sincere.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.