View post (What Pick Up and Amp for my Nylon string????)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2021 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

What about the opposite scenario. Plugging an electric into an Acoustic Amp. Does that have any effect on sound?

[/quote]

I guess that depends on your situation & goals. It's not optimal, but it's not bad per se. If that's all you have, then it's great. :)

In my experience when you want to add any gain or drive (via the amp or a pedal, or even just volume) it gets way too fizzy in the top end quickly. And the midrange sounds nothing like I normally expect when playing a solid body electric. The low end bass doesn't suffer, but it sounds strangely clear & full instead of tight & punchy.

When a guitar & amp doesn't respond to my playing the way I expect, then I immediately find myself adjusting my playing, looking for a way to adjust the tone to make it respond more effectively, even second guessing what, how or if I will play a certain chord voicing or line a certain way.

So, it's fine if you are expecting to play super clean acoustic sounding material. But that's not an optimal way to play electric guitar.

[quote=mjgodin]Recently I've been shopping around for amps for my electric and looking into the modelling amps. Some of them have an Acoustic setting. Are these more of a "simulated" acoustic sound or are they really designed to plug an acoustic into them and bring out their natural clean voicing?

I think the intention there is the option to plug an acoustic guitar into the amp. But they sort of simulate the acoustic EQ response even with an electric.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory