installing output jacks on acoustic guitar

coleslaswspr
coleslaswspr
01/09/2021 9:19 pm

Hello all, I want to install an output jack so I can plug a cable into my pc to be able to hear the guitar strumming/playback then the noise won't disturb the family.

Any of you have experience with this? I have a baby taylor bt2

Do any of you know how much it generally costs to install one in stores such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash? I really don't want to drive up to stores and ask then end up not doing it because it's too expensive, during this time..

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/09/2021 9:56 pm

Go to Talk to a guitar tech page and Steven will provide you with as much info as you need.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
01/09/2021 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: coleslaswspr

Hello all, I want to install an output jack so I can plug a cable into my pc to be able to hear the guitar strumming/playback then the noise won't disturb the family.

Any of you have experience with this? I have a baby taylor bt2

Do any of you know how much it generally costs to install one in stores such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash? I really don't want to drive up to stores and ask then end up not doing it because it's too expensive, during this time..

[p]

1. DIY experience. Yes

2. Luthier installation cost? No

It's an easy enough job if you have any nous, some mechanical ability, a suitable workspace, a decent electric drill, correct sized drill bits, a reamer and the know-how.

Most people including me replace the endpin with a jack, although they can be a separated installation if you prefer. Here are the downloadable instructions for an endpin replacement installation.

The caveat. Baby Taylor or cheapie from Walmart, [u]do the job properly and use a reamer tool[/u] to form and expand the hole to correct size for whatever endpin jack you choose to install rather than skimping and using a drill bit. Because of the size and shape of the guitar body, you can't use bench drill press for precision and control.

Here's the important part. A. Take your time. B. RTFM before you attempt it. Practice on some scrap wood first if you're not comfortably handy or confident. If you decide you're not up to doing it yourself, no shame in that, take it to someone who is. Whatever it costs, it'll be much cheaper than fixing a screwed up job.

Here are some great tips on endpin jack installation from Dan himself.

I've done it three times over the past three years including cutting the body to install pre-amps twice and drilling the bridge for the piezo, so I'm speaking from reasonably recent experience of doing it, not hypothetically.

If after reading all the above you still aren't confident in your ability to do the job, save yourself some heartache and take it to a luthier to do it.

Cheers,

manXcat

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
01/10/2021 7:02 am

Later ..I just realised I overlooked the reason/purpose behind your request. I just looked up the BT2 too.

Adding an amplification system of any type to an acoustic bodied guitar including the easy alternative of a soundhole pickup with external lead and jack regardless of what you input it to won't lower the acoustic volume of your guitar, and so not acomplish the solution you're seeking to its acoustic noise disturbing the family problem.

Headphones are a silent practice solution for solid body electrics, but not for acoustics.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.