B string muted playing Barre chords

Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
01/08/2021 10:57 pm

I need some help. Out of the blue, when I am playing a Barre chord, the b string is muted. All the other notes ring out fine. This started about a week ago with the farther up the fretboard the worse it gets. Like I said, its only the b string. Any suggestions? Thanks!

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
01/08/2021 11:15 pm
Originally Posted by: bluz47

I need some help. Out of the blue, when I am playing a Barre chord, the b string is muted. All the other notes ring out fine. This started about a week ago with the farther up the fretboard the worse it gets. Like I said, its only the b string. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hey bluz47 -- which barre chord shape are you using? Root on E string or Root on A string?

If you remove all your other fingers except the barre, is the string still muted?

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
01/09/2021 10:57 pm

Hi Carl...When I am playing both positions. When I just use just the barre, the strings ring out fine,up until after the 7th fret. I just noticed that on an E minor shape, the G stirng gets muted while the rest ring out. Again after the 7th fret. It's gotta be my techique right?

Thanks!

# 3
Carl King
Carl King
01/10/2021 8:56 am
Originally Posted by: bluz47

Hi Carl...When I am playing both positions. When I just use just the barre, the strings ring out fine,up until after the 7th fret. I just noticed that on an E minor shape, the G stirng gets muted while the rest ring out. Again after the 7th fret. It's gotta be my techique right?

Thanks!

Start on each string and play one fret at a time, going all the way up the neck. Do all of the notes on the guitar work when played one at a time?

If so, I'd guess it's probably just your technique -- either not pressing down hard enough or other fingers touching the strings they shouldn't be touching.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.