Strumming pattern?

usa4cc
usa4cc
12/26/2020 6:12 pm

Hello all!

I tried playing one of my favorite songs on ultimate guitar, but the strumming pattern seems to switch from 8th notes to 16th notes in the middle of the song.

The issue is that it uses downstrokes for the 1 & 2, but then switches to include upstrokes. Is this supposed to be a 16th note strumming pattern, and it just doesn't show that?

If I do an upstroke right after the 2, that would be too quickly--because when going from 1 to & and & to 2, I am strumming up and down. But then if I silently strum up and back down again, by the time I strum up the second time that would be too long. So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to play this, unless there is a mistake in the strumming pattern--even if this is sixteenth notes.

Thanks!

# 1
usa4cc
usa4cc
12/26/2020 6:46 pm

The same thing happens here as well.

Of the four spaces in the strumming pattern, only the longer space between 3e& and 4e makes sense.

# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/06/2021 9:15 am

Hey usa4cc,

It looks to me like those transcriptions are just full of errors or some kind of site bug.

In the first example (Blessed Be Your Name) I'd say it's meant to be:

1 2 3& 4&

Which would be

D D DU DU

To get that basic rhythm (which is used in a million songs) you first just strum solid quarter notes, one strum per beat. Down Down Down Down. Get that going. Then you throw in a couple of upstrokes before the last two downs. Down Down Down (UP!) Down (UP!).

In the second example (O Come To The Alter) it's probably slow steady 16ths up and down.

I am not super familiar with these songs, but in general the strumming for worship songs isn't going to be strict. No one will mind if you miss an upstroke, and it won't be wrong. As long as you are strumming down steadily on the rhythm and following the changes I wouldn't worry too much. Add upstrokes where you want to.

I hope that helps!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
usa4cc
usa4cc
01/06/2021 2:50 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey usa4cc,

It looks to me like those transcriptions are just full of errors or some kind of site bug.

In the first example (Blessed Be Your Name) I'd say it's meant to be:

1 2 3& 4&

Which would be

D D DU DU

To get that basic rhythm (which is used in a million songs) you first just strum solid quarter notes, one strum per beat. Down Down Down Down. Get that going. Then you throw in a couple of upstrokes before the last two downs. Down Down Down (UP!) Down (UP!).

In the second example (O Come To The Alter) it's probably slow steady 16ths up and down.

I am not super familiar with these songs, but in general the strumming for worship songs isn't going to be strict. No one will mind if you miss an upstroke, and it won't be wrong. As long as you are strumming down steadily on the rhythm and following the changes I wouldn't worry too much. Add upstrokes where you want to.

I hope that helps!

-Carl.

Thanks!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.