View post (Grid Pattern for Scales)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2020 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMWI'm having trouble grasping the grid pattern for scales.[/quote]

Scales can be confusing for guitar students because:

1. You can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar.

2. Some patterns aren't always possible near the nut when your pattern runs up against the open strings.

3. Some patterns change when they cross from the G string to the B string, because all the strings are tuned 5 frets apart except for those 2 strings which are 4 fret apart.

Originally Posted by: SusanMWI am in Fundamentals 2 working on the major scales lessons. Could someone explain this concept a little more in depth?[/quote]

It might be helpful to watch this short 3 lesson tutorial that covers the conceptual basics of the major scale on the guitar.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

Originally Posted by: SusanMWI know what the grid looks like....so, you use this pattern for any note anywhere on the neck and that is the scale?[/quote]

Essentially, yes. But there are exceptions. And it's not necessary to play & know all of this RIGHT NOW! Just take it one step, lesson & scale pattern at a time. :)

[br]

Originally Posted by: SusanMWAnd then to play the linear kind of scale....I'm just a little confused with that, too. So either one is playable?
[p]Yes, but it depends on the musical context. You use whichever pattern is the most practical to get the job done. And you don't have to worry about or play all those patterns until you need them.

[quote=SusanMW]Also, how proficient in scales should I be to move on?

At the beginner stage a student is just starting to learn:

1. The physical motions required to play single string melodies.

2. The sound & intervals of the scales as the building blocks of music; essentially aural or ear training.

So just start with one pattern in the easiest possible pattern & practice it. Keep playing it until you have it memorized. The purpose of this is to achieve the 2 steps above:

1. Build physical skill.

2. Apply those scale patterns to music & understand how scales are used to play melodies & connect chords.

For example, Lisa shows a bunch of open scale patterns in GF 2. If you are able to do those, then you are doing fine. Just practice them as you keep working through the course. Eventually that will give you the finger strength & dexterity to learn more scale patterns when you need them.

[quote=SusanMW]Is this something I will just constantly be working at and working into my practice?

In general, yes. But it really depends on your goals for your playing. Some people will never need scales beyond being able to play small melodic runs in between chords, or short melodies to embellish their chordal strumming.

Some people want to know a little more, like how to play simple lead guitar melodies or solos. So, they will need to now a little more about how to apply scale patterns in more areas of the fretboard.

Some people want to play lead guitar all over the fretboard! So they spend a lot of time learning, drilling, practicing, playing many types of scale patterns all over the fretboard.

For now, just follow the course. Get used to how the major & minor scales sound. Get practice at playing single note lines by playing the melodies & scales in GF2.

[quote=SusanMW] I have gone through and studied quite deeply the Music Theory Basics course by Christopher. (Awesome lessons, by the way...)

Glad you enjoyed them!

Dave (ddiddler) mentioned some of my recent lessons on scales. Those are good, but a little more advanced. They are designed to be used after GF2. They show how to apply the major scale in multiple ways.

Major Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

Minor Scale Patterns 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=887

There is a part 2 for each of the above on the way that expands on these concepts to show how to apply them across the whole guitar with lots of practical applications & play alongs. Stay tuned!

So, thanks for the mention, Dave. But those might be a little beyond the scope of this particular situation.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory