newbie amp

simmonssarah.work
simmonssarah.work
12/13/2020 4:23 pm

hi everyone, looking for an amp for a guitar student

budget is $150

it doesn't really matter if it is used or a brand new (but of course it would be better to buy a new one)

came across this amp review - any of these good?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/13/2020 9:15 pm

Hi

I made this a while back for another member, you might get something out of it:

Amps

Of the amps listed in your link, the only amp I can 1/2 way speak to is the Fender. My wife and I have purchased a Squire Bullet/10 watt amp pack for a Christmas gift. I haven't opened it.

It's good enough to get him started. Where he goes will be up to him and his desire to practice.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/13/2020 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: simmonssarah.work

hi everyone, looking for an amp for a guitar student

budget is $150 it doesn't really matter if it is used or a brand new (but of course it would be better to buy a new one) came across this amp review - any of these good?

[p]

To your "any of these any good?" question. No. Not in my opinion. Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy any of those.

Are you looking for an acoustic or electric guitar amp? I'll assume electric from what your post reveals.

Preferred music genre/s?

Where are you going to use it? Bedroom or..?

Portability factor? Only at home or taking to a friend's place?

Replacement considerations. As you grow you'll likely want more features and grunt, particularly in an electric amp. How soon can you afford to buy again when that occurs?

Amp purchase is more often than not driven by brand association or familiarity bias than tone or anything else. What's your favourite brand?

So many variables we really need to know more to give you a meaningful answer.

In the interim some suggestions which work for me and might for you too.

For electric, you could start with something as portable, inexpensive yet versatile and more than powerful enough for bedroom practice and learning with as this Fly 3 Stereo Combo or this Katana-Mini. Either of these will come in under budget. The Blackstar (combo only) comes supplied with a mains PSU adapter included. Reviews here (this is the 3W single Fly3), but an objective review. NB. disclaimer I have this too. On a tight budget, this is a great pick. Awesome performer for a mini amp heads and shoulders above those listed in that link you provided. I use mine [u]every day[/u]. The Fly 3 Combo inc PSU and Fly 103 satellite adds and additional speaker for a Stereo sound image and brings the total output up to 6W (think Fly 3 on steroids) NB. disclaimer I have this too, outstanding demo here and Katana Mini here.

Alternatively, moving that budget up about 25%-30% from your USD$150 target will get you something more versatile, more powerful yet still portable like this Blackstar ID:Core (Widestereo) combo NB. disclaimer I have this, or this Fender Champion combo, NB. disclaimer I have a Champion 100, or this Boss Katana combo any of which will meet your practice amp desires for longer as you grow.

The choice is boundless & confusing for a newb. One of the things I like in particular about Fender's frequently overlooked Champion series in the modelling techno spec obsessed saturated marketeplace is their tone and KISS operation which can be an asset starting out.

Regardless, bear in mind that for most of us, whatever we choose, it will be your first amp. There [u]will[/u] be a next.

[br]All the best.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/13/2020 10:58 pm

Get some time in on the strings before you blow your wad. Its so easy for someone else to spend your money. And all [u]you [/u]or he/she needs to know is: will you/they practice. If you or they won't, then don't buy anything.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
12/14/2020 11:01 pm

the three top contenders based on reviews and personal experience:

mini katana, blackstar fly 3, vox mini3 or vox mini5 (lots of fun effects if the student wants to play around).

a friend of mine enjoys the fender mustang and had a small orange amp.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.