economy picking?

canuck7
canuck7
01/03/2003 5:40 pm
what is economy picking? i've heard of it and probably know it but i can't seem to link the term with the technique.
help me out here.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 1
HSlashRhoadsH
HSlashRhoadsH
01/03/2003 6:35 pm
economy picking is when you are not altrenate picking but going all down or all up strokes. its picking the easiest way you can. you use economy picking mainly when sweeping. i have been playing for a while and i still have problems alternate picking. economy picking is really simple
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
01/03/2003 8:35 pm
I thought that economy picking is the same as sweep picking
ie when you play the 3 notes per string scales instead of alternate you play down up down down up down etc -- that is what I think is meant by economy picking because you are doing less motion.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 3
canuck7
canuck7
01/04/2003 4:06 pm
hey guys,
thanks for helping me out here. i've linked the technique with the term now. i was thinking of the wrong technique for economy picking.
thanks.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
01/06/2003 9:22 pm
Yeah I also thought it was like down up down down...
well, i guess terms mean different things all over the world
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
TheDirt
TheDirt
01/07/2003 8:22 pm
Economy picking doesn't necessarily mean down up down down up, etc. The term means using the most efficient (least motion) picking pattern for a given passage. The upside to this is that you can achieve faster speeds than with alternate picking. The downside is that it's hard to improvise with economy picking because you usually have to stop for a second and think out how to best pick a passage with economy picking.

Take this passages for example (paste in notepad)

e |---9-10-7-9----7----
B |-7----------10---9--

Alternate picking, there's no thought - down up down up down up down up.

Economy picking is harder to think out, but faster once you get it - down down up down up up down up

I suggest sticking to alternate picking... I mean you can get absolutely monstrous speed with alternate picking... hell, some of the players on this board are speed demons without using any economy picking (not me though, I like to stay under 140 staccato :)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.