Gear Discussion

jamesmustain
jamesmustain
12/02/2020 3:41 am

Hi all!

[br]when I bought my BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal. I was mostly a rock player, but since then I have gone through blues courses 1 and 2, learned almost all the blues songs on this site and developed a love for blues. how can I get a bluesy sound out of this pedal, I can get close, but i'm still not there yet.

[br]Any help is appreciated

[br]Thank you!

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
12/02/2020 8:31 am
Originally Posted by: jamesmustain

Hi all!

[br]when I bought my BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal. I was mostly a rock player, but since then I have gone through blues courses 1 and 2, learned almost all the blues songs on this site and developed a love for blues. how can I get a bluesy sound out of this pedal, I can get close, but i'm still not there yet.

[br]Any help is appreciated

[br]Thank you!

You completed all the blues 1&2 courses and learned every blues song on this site in just one day and without even being a full access member?

Maybe you could post your practice routine so other could benefit from your fast learning skills.......

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/02/2020 1:03 pm
Originally Posted by: jamesmustain

when I bought my BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal. I was mostly a rock player, but since then I have gone through blues courses 1 and 2, learned almost all the blues songs on this site and developed a love for blues. how can I get a bluesy sound out of this pedal, I can get close, but i'm still not there yet.

[p]It depends on what blues player or style you are trying to emulate. For example:

BB King is classic blues but a typically straight into the amp sound, no gain or pedal required!

SRV had a little more overdriven tone & used a Tubescreamer. TS-808 or TS-9. But you can use the Boss OD-1 or the Boss Blues Driver to get basically the same result. The trick is to turn up the volume or level to 70%, but keep the gain or drive at 30%.

And I'd be willing to bet you can get started with your DS-1 with the same settings. Just turn the gain down.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.