View post (Possible to become good at 40-plus?)

View thread

martintaylor2002
martintaylor2002
12/01/2020 12:51 pm
Originally Posted by: guitar1916
Originally Posted by: jadaldouglas

LOL while I'm over here jumping for joy because I learned to play Ode to Joy lolol. Oh man I have a long way to go. 😂. [br][br]

I have a suggestion for you and I know I'm a newbie but why don't you go hang out at some open mic nights and maybe participate? Pick a few songs you do know well and play for others. It could link you with others and you could learn new things too. Don't get down on yourself. It's a marathon not a 5k. One goal at a time!

Thank you for the advice. The grades aren't that bad at the early stages to be honest, but the difficulty does go up exponentially, which is why I'm proably at a bit of a low point

I'm having a terrible time with trying to learn Cissy Strut on the electric guitar. It's soooo fast (for me anyway).

You can start playing guitar at any age but you're not going to be as good as someone who starts playing guitar at the age of 8. That's just fact. Think of it this way. At the age of 40+, you're not going to hit the Forehand and Backhand like Roger Federer no matter how hard you practice. An 8 years old "might" have the potential to hit both the FH or BH just like the GOAT Roger Federer.

Guitar is pretty much the same way. At 40+, your reaction time is much slower and your ability to process information will be much slower than a teenager. That's just the way life is. You just can't fight father time.

That being said, do not compare yourself against others, just enjoy playing guitar and if you practice everyday, you will become "good" in your own way. That's exactly what I am doing with my Taylor 814-BCE as seen here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/dDpsKrk