I keep hitting the body of the guitar with pick

meharbrar12
meharbrar12
11/16/2020 3:28 am

Hi! So in terms of the stage I'm at in GT I'm at Fundamentals 2. I'm trying to learn a song that is not taught in the course and when I strum, I'm noticing that I hit the pick guard a lot. It wasn't really noticeable at first until I recorded myself playing and now the tapping is much more noticeable when I play.

Just wanted some tips to get a cleaner strum going.

Also, when it comes to learning a song at the stage that I am currently at, when can I say "I have this song down". I've been practicing this song for over a month now and my chord changes are getting better, however I will sometimes not nail them everysingle time I play. Like I may go through the chord progression 3 times and all is good, but the fourth time I don't land the A Major chord smoothly. But I am much better than I first started, so at what point should I start focusing on a new song?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/16/2020 6:01 pm

Hey there! The great thing is, that's exactly why the pick guard is there! Keep focusing on proper strumming technique. You're doing all the right stuff!

Check out these lessons on strumming, they should provide some more insight:

https://www.guitartricks.com/search.php?search=strumming

As far as moving on to another song, you should move on when you feel comforatble. You don't have to have it down perfectly. And you can always come back to a particular song!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.