Switches and selectors

Slick00x
Slick00x
12/31/2002 6:55 pm
Exactly what is the pickup selector? I think it's an on/on/on single pole switch, but the ground coming off the otherside of the thing bugs me. Would it be safe to substitute it with a mini-toggle? And mentioning mini-toggles, what makes them 'mini,' are they smaller around the thread than a pickup selector? I want to screw around with my guitar's electronics and to say the least, I want to have a three way switch that has neck/neck+bridge in series/bridge. Suggestions?
"Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/01/2003 6:19 am
I take it that you are dealing with some type of 3way switch, which just basically is an on-on-on type switch, the ground wire shouldn't bother you unless you don't like playing an electric guitar. Mini-toggles are just small toggle switches, you can find them in all the standard configurations, on-on,on-off-on, on-on-on, you might just want to go with a push/pull pot, just a pot with a switch attached, if I get the drift of what you want to do, it would be easy to do with your 3way switch, a push/pull pot and about 2 inches of wire........ Have you checked out these websites:

http://www.guitarnuts.com
and
http://www.guitarelectronics.com

If you can solder, and like to experiment, for less than $10 you'll be able to do about any mod out there, have fun...........
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/01/2003 2:58 pm
Have you been to:

http://www.stewmac.com

This is a whey cool place and has everything from shielding paint to new necks

I totally re-did the electrics on one of my Strats recently and the good people at guitar tricks as well as a video I got from the above place walked me through it. The guitar is now supercharged I Im happy to do it again.

Best of luck
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/01/2003 4:11 pm
Check out Wiring 101 on their website.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Slick00x
Slick00x
01/09/2003 12:48 am
Yeah, I got my stuff from guitarelectronics, and I thoroughly looked over guitarnuts before I began anything. I did a whole bunch of stuff at once, like changing pickups and adding two mini-toggles. Man, I got it to work, but there's a horrible buzz- I've got humbuckers, so I know it's how I wired it. It gets worse when I touch anything metal on the guitar- I take it I didn't ground the bridge right. Hmmm....
"Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/09/2003 3:05 pm
Sounds like it, just do a continuity check between your bridge and where you think you grounded it and see what you get, or take a length of and put an alligator clip on each end, and clip one end to your bridge and one end to ground, if it stops humming, then you have a little more work to do.................
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.