View post (Where "should" we be at each stage of GT?)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
11/13/2020 5:51 pm

I wouldn't focus on "Mastering" or playing lessons at full tempo. That all comes in time and it's difficult to put a timeframe on it as everyone has different strengths and styles they prefer to play. Since were all students at some level, I don't think the term 'Master" should even be in our vocabulary.

You and I might have the exact same timeframe with playing guitar, but I love fingerpicking and so I might be better at that than you because I spend a great deal of time practicing that versus doing power chords which might be something you prefer to do so your probably more proficient than me at them. Not that we don't each understand how to do either.

Tha main thing is to learn as much technique as you can which is what the fundamental courses provide and learn them to the point of understanding their purpose, when and how to apply them and how to perform them to a resonable level. One that is comfortable to you. As you move into the styles courses you will see certain things repeat as the lessons build on each other so you'll still be using concepts you learned in Fundamentals just a little deeper.

Again don't try to play as fast as the instructors. They have decades of playing over us. When they play the lesson or song at full speed in the performance section they're showing you how it should sound when it all comes together so it gives you something to work towards, but that all depends on you and how much time you want to put into it.

Hope this helps,

Moe