GUITAR SIZE/COMFORTABLE CHAIR BACK PAIN

tammielyn.ts
Full Access
tammielyn.ts
Full Access
11/10/2020 12:49 am

Hey all guitar heros

couple things, first, i am in my first year learning acoustic. i have a yamaha FS800, it says small body guitar, but it doesnt feel small body to me., i have shoulder issues, and it just feels so high to get my shoulder around and sustain without pain and as well in my upper middle back. Also i have to get a new chair., that has really good back support and adjustable. Any suggestions of a really good sounding small guitar, smaller than what i have, and a comfortable chair? Thanks in advance

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/10/2020 2:52 am
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

i have a yamaha FS800, it says small body guitar, but it doesnt feel small body to me.[/quote][p]I don't see any specs that list it as a small body. It looks to me like a fairly standard sized acoustic guitar.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]

Any suggestions of a really good sounding small guitar, smaller than what i have, and a comfortable chair? Thanks in advance

Sorry you are having trouble! You might be more comfortable with a parlor sized guitar.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Parlor--Acoustic-Guitars.gc

But I'd think that new Fender Squier would be a great option. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
11/10/2020 4:04 am

Yamaha's FS prefix indicates a Concert body. Also available as a cutaway. Storia is also a Concert body.

If you're looking at Yamaha, here are their acoustic body size prefixes.

FG = "Traditional Western" body. A Dreadnought.

CPX = Medium Jumbo

APX = Slimline Concert cutaway. This is what I have and my favourite acoustic of my four. Pick of the bunch. Lubbly jubbly if of average build and you want a fast acoustic neck and body comfort.

APXT2 = scaled down Concert body 3/4 size of the APX. Travel guitar or for tiny people.

CSF = Parlor, a small body. If you're looking for a compact package with big sound this might do. Yamaha's CSF promo. Check it out. I suspect it might be what you're looking for. Edit: Another high signal to noise ratio review & demo here with other models placed alongside e.g. APX600, CPX permitting a visual relative size comparison.

manXcat

P.S. Chair wise, no real suggestion other that what I use most of the time works for this old body. No back suport with it though other than what it invites through good spinal posture. My On Stage KT7800+ keyboard bench. I bought it for use with my Yamaha keyboard & stand, but I favour it for use with guitar over my guitar stool. Deep memory foam for comfort, and [u]importantly[/u] adjustable height so my legs rest squarely and firmly on floor when seated playing guitar.

# 3
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/10/2020 6:08 am

I have a Seagull parlor guitar, it has no finish on it and a solid cedar top. It resonates and projects sound very well for a small guitar. I've probably had it twenty years so i'm not sure they make that same model, i think Godin makes it but it has been upgraded with electrics and a finish and a bigger price tag. it is super light and a great guitar to me...Cheers everyone!

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/10/2020 2:25 pm

It's also worth considering the Martin LXK2 Little Martin in the Koa finish. It's a 3/4 sized guitar. I got this guitar for my wife and she loves it. Loves it. For the same reasons you wanted a smaller guitar, she got this one too. She's 5'3" and didn't want to wrap herself around a full sized guitar.

Actually, a number of years ago, we got her the Baby Taylor and that was a terrible guitar. I have a Taylor myself and love it so it's not a bag overall on Taylor but that Baby Taylor? Not a good guitar. The neck is literally screwed to the body through the top of the fretboard. Seriously.

However, the Mini Martin is a great guitar and comes in natural spruce or the Koa mahogony (the Koa is actually a wood laminate but sounds great).

We ordered it from Chicago Music Exchange and prior to ordering, I did an online chat to see if I could get an additional setup as my wife wanted lighter strings (10s). They did so adding only the cost of the strings. It came ready to play and I too really enjoy playing that little thing. It plays quite nicely.

Anyway, something to consider is a 3/4 sized guitar too. My wife doesn't feel like the guitar is handling her and that she can handle the guitar.

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/11/2020 10:23 am

if you google a chair for a guitarist it tends to throw up loads of drum stools.

So no back support whatsoever.

Similar with better posture the recommendation being you perch on your sit bones with a reasonably straight back stacked up on these sit bones.

Chairs with a smaller back support are maybe designed for working at desks rather than playing as we would sit forward a little but at least then you would have some support as you take a rest period.

As it's very much a personal choice I guess it will be lots of trial and error.

# 6
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
11/11/2020 11:14 pm

I bought a 000-Martin Junior to learn on. Smaller size fits my smaller stature very well. Also the neck and fret size suits me well. Very comfortable. Martin has a few models in the Junior series. I went to the music store and tried the ergonomic fit in a variety of guitars to find the right fit.

# 7
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
11/12/2020 6:05 pm

another vote for a parlor sized guitar. Breedlove makes a good product in a decent price range.

[br]Also, Alvarez, Seagull, and Guild 240-E.

I play a parlor sized and find it comfortable and with excellent sound. the key, is the comfort (I had a dreadnaught in my youth, but it proved to be uncomfortable as I have aged. shoulders in particular).

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.