Memorizing the Fretboard

npeshman
npeshman
11/09/2020 2:18 am

Memorizing the fretboard is something I have been working on for a while now. I have learned most of the patterns to find the notes but have found that a bit cumbersome. What I have found that works the best for me is to memorize the notes on the string in the Open, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets. This way I am always right next to something I know and can quickly know the note. There were just a few too many gaps to do just the open 5th, 7th and 12th ones for me.

In any case, I came up with some mnemonics to help me remember everything, I hope others find them useful as well. They are:

open and 12th (What everyone knows): Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie (EADGBE)

5th and 7th: I remember above but shifted up or down and adjusting for the B string

3rd: Good Cats Fight All Smart Dogs Greatly (GCFA#DG)

9th: Cool Seals Fight Sharks Before Every Great Shark Catches Seals (C#F#BEG#C#)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2020 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: npeshman

Memorizing the fretboard is something I have been working on for a while now.

If all those memory aids help you, then go for it.

I find it much easier to teach that there is only one pattern: 2 frets in between every letter except B-C, E-F. And then you apply it in repeating octaves.

Place it on both E strings.

E ||--F-|-----|--G-|-----|--A-|-----|--B-|--C-|-----|--D-|-----|--E-|

__||-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Repeat it in octave on the D & B strings.

__||-----|-----|-----|-----|--E-|--F-|-----|--G-|-----|--A-|-----|--B-|

__||-----|--E-|--F-|-----|--G-|-----|--A-|-----|--B-|--C-|-----|-----|

Place it on the A string & repeat it on the G string.

__||-----|-----|--A-|--B-|--C-|-----|--D-|-----|--E-|--F-|-----|--G-|

A ||-----|--B-|--C-|-----|--D-|-----|--E-|--F-|-----|--G-|-----|--A-|

I explain this process in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11526&s_id=495

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
npeshman
npeshman
11/09/2020 3:08 pm

Hi Chris,

I really like your lessons. I did see your lesson and it is very helpful. Just for whatever reason I had to really think about it longer that way about what the actual note name is. Guess I just visualize the fretboard a little bit differently.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/09/2020 7:12 pm
Originally Posted by: npeshman

Hi Chris,

I really like your lessons. I did see your lesson and it is very helpful. Just for whatever reason I had to really think about it longer that way about what the actual note name is. Guess I just visualize the fretboard a little bit differently.

It's funny, when I started out, I looked at the fretboard and got intimidated with how many notes there were across the fingerboard. I was a quick study when I started so I made it through but I remember that moment of 'what am I getting myself in to?'.

My wife recently started playing and she really functions well with visuals and she did the same thing I did when I started and wanted a visual to 'see' the fretboard. When I tried to explain the same thing, it didn't connect as readily. Below is the 'map' I made for her.

What it help reinforce is that it is really the same order of notes on each string but with a different 'starting' note.

If you know the order, you know all the notes on the fretboard and can start building relationships between. The part about building relationships between them is fully what Chris was talking about. With 12 notes total across 6 strings, it would seem like a lot. Break it down in to chunks and realize that it's the same pattern on each string, it's easier to then build on relationships Chris was mentioning.

Your point about memorizing the locations (I'll call them 'fret marker' notes) is not a bad idea. In a way, that's why fret markers are there, as a guide to where you are on the fretboard. If you know that the 5th string, 5th fret is a D, then you know the next note up is a D#. Easy to remember. That makes sense.

When I started, I would just take a string and pluck the string going up a string fret by fret and say the note as I pluck it. We all have our ways.

Once you can see the fretboard, making those connections becomes easier.

Chris is certainly the expert and master teacher. Me? I just got two cents but I thought worth sharing.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.