Electric guitar info

dlashme
Full Access
dlashme
Full Access
10/28/2020 4:34 pm

Hi there. Been with GT for close to a year and am on Acoustics 1 course. I have been playing a Yamaha Parlor guitar which I really love but I'm finding myself becoming seduced by the electric guitar. I love the blues. The problem is they seem complicated - humbuckers, amps, pedals etc. Is there a tutorial that breaks down the electric guitar? Would like to have a basic understanding before I take the plunge. Also recommendations for an electric to start with would be nice. Thanks for all you do. Denise

dlashme

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/28/2020 7:44 pm
Originally Posted by: dlashmeI'm finding myself becoming seduced by the electric guitar. I love the blues. The problem is they seem complicated - humbuckers, amps, pedals etc. Is there a tutorial that breaks down the electric guitar? Would like to have a basic understanding before I take the plunge.[/quote]

Although commercial sites, this is a comprehensive meat 'n taters guide to electric guitar as is this. You can filter out the unintrusive suggest sell spam.

If you want visual tutes, You Tube abounds with them. Engage search.

[quote=dlashme]Also recommendations for an electric to start with would be nice. Thanks for all you do. Denise

Blues orientated guitar recommendations from someone who plays Blues.

I won't make a specific guitar or even type recommendation.

I will say, that in my observation, most people make the mistake of being seduced to buy based upon aesthetic, or if not, by obsessing over spec. Neither of these are the most important. [u]A personal ergonomic fit is #1[/u]. Doesn't matter how beautiful a guitar is, if it isn't a good fit the novelty will wear off fast. So find a guitar which fits you, and then triage aesthetic and componentry within your budget.

[br]I'll also let you in on a secret which isn't so secret. [u]90% of tone comes from the amp and fingers[/u]. Most pickups today are tonally pretty good despite the snobbery which still prevails as part of the human condition. Other components like tuner mechs, strings, nut, & bridge are more important, with the first being the most common which would benefit from an inexpensive upgrade on inexpensive guitars.

[u]Amps[/u]. Starting out, take your pick from any of the many digital modelling amps in a wattage suited to your environment and useage need. Anywhere from 3W which is super inexpensive and fine for learning to 50W which will cover all the bases to rock your ears and the neighbours. Anything from Yamaha THR, Blackstar ID:Core or Fly 3, Boss Katana or Katana MIni, Fender Champion, and so many others will do what you want. Just pick your preferrred bias within budget and buy. None of those mentioned above will disappoint.

Cheers..

manXcat

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.