View post (Session Musician)

View thread

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
01/22/2003 1:57 pm
amen to what schmange posted. plus: be prepared to spend a stressed, not too well payed life (unless you sessionfor real great act - and even then they´ll try to pay just the minimum). You will have to play stuff that you would normally never listen to. If you say "that is crap" then the answer will be "next guitarrist please".

Plus: in a world full of synthetic music where allmost everything is put together by pre-recorded loops and licks it is pretty hard to get into it and make a living out of it. it is possible, but very hard.

You have to be a businessmen and you have to sell yourself (same thing goes if you have a band and want to be successfull). The sad thing about this is, that most studio stuff that will get you some money is basically crappy music - i know alot of studiomusicians that are not happy about their job - and it is a job - nothing more, nothing less.

I work in studios too, but just for the fun of it and where i can decide what to play. i will build up my living on teaching guitar and maybe a rock-coverband for bikermeetings - but not on studio jobs. Sorry if this is not too encouraging.

Or you have good connections and someone will get you into that scene. Else be prepared for a long, stony way.

[Edited by Azrael on 01-22-2003 at 08:02 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]