Undecided

JohnGC
JohnGC
10/13/2020 1:10 am

Heading towards GF2 and really enjoying GT. After seeing Lisa's inspiring videos of setting goals I have started to wonder about my direction. I like Blues,Country & Rock. My main interest is to be able to play solo/lead on electric guitar with backing music, if you heard my singing you would know why. ha ha. What I would like to know is when I start level 1 would it be any benefit to start a particular lesson or just go through the order of Blues,Country & Rock.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/13/2020 1:39 am

Hi John

Simple answer: go with what you dig.

Ps: if I can sing, you can too.

Good luck with your studies

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
JohnGC
JohnGC
10/13/2020 2:02 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi John

Simple answer: go with what you dig.

Ps: if I can sing, you can too.

Good luck with your studies

Thank you William, I have seen your videos and they are very good. I can assure you your singing is 100% better than mine ( told you I was bad ) on the positive side if did sing along with my playing people would not notice all the mistakes I make with my guitar, how could they with their fingers in their ears ha ha.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/13/2020 2:34 pm
Originally Posted by: JohnGC

Heading towards GF2 and really enjoying GT. After seeing Lisa's inspiring videos of setting goals I have started to wonder about my direction. I like Blues,Country & Rock. My main interest is to be able to play solo/lead on electric guitar with backing music, if you heard my singing you would know why. ha ha. What I would like to know is when I start level 1 would it be any benefit to start a particular lesson or just go through the order of Blues,Country & Rock.

In all, I agree with William, do what you enjoy as a 'first' choice. If your love any one style well more than another, do that style. You'll want to be motivated and enjoy what you play.

Something to be mindful of; blues concepts underlie most popular music. You see much of it in country and definately rock. Now, if you decide that rock or country is your jam, go with one of those as many concepts of blues are covered in those disciplines. This is why you don't lose anything thing by making one choice over another.

If anything, I would suggest that whatever path you choose, if it's not blues first, come back to it as a basis for much of your playing. When I started playing, it was definately more due to blues or rock with a big blues thing to it. A few years later (in the later 80's), I got in to the noodly shredder thing and got away from the blues. After a few years away from playing, when I returned, I realized that the shreddy stuff was just not for me and went back to digging in to the blues. There is a lot of licks and musical vocabulary in blues that you see all over current music.

So, play what you really dig but just be sure that at some point, you bring it back to the blues.

# 4
JohnGC
JohnGC
10/13/2020 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: JohnGC

In all, I agree with William, do what you enjoy as a 'first' choice. If your love any one style well more than another, do that style. You'll want to be motivated and enjoy what you play.

Something to be mindful of; blues concepts underlie most popular music. You see much of it in country and definately rock. Now, if you decide that rock or country is your jam, go with one of those as many concepts of blues are covered in those disciplines. This is why you don't lose anything thing by making one choice over another.

If anything, I would suggest that whatever path you choose, if it's not blues first, come back to it as a basis for much of your playing. When I started playing, it was definately more due to blues or rock with a big blues thing to it. A few years later (in the later 80's), I got in to the noodly shredder thing and got away from the blues. After a few years away from playing, when I returned, I realized that the shreddy stuff was just not for me and went back to digging in to the blues. There is a lot of licks and musical vocabulary in blues that you see all over current music.

So, play what you really dig but just be sure that at some point, you bring it back to the blues.

Thank you Jeff, The Blues is the way I am heading and then Country and Rock.Looking forward to doing that once I have completed G 2.

Cheers JohnGC

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.