A chord death grip

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/11/2020 3:46 pm

Wait until you get to the two finger major A form barr. You have to push your ring finger's last joint until it is hyperextended flat on the fretboard. Once you get that you have to start working the position, until it can hold down the D, G, and B strings with your ring finger. All without touching the high E, the A, and the low E strings, which are held by your pointer playing the Barr position . It has been a while but I still remember thinking I would never get that chord. It is a contortionist crundrum for sure. There are bazar Jazz Chords that are also difficult, some streaches seem like they might pop a ligiment... but that hyperextention in the A barr, took me a long time to get comfortable with.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
10/11/2020 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Wait until you get to the two finger major A form barr. You have to push your ring finger's last joint until it is hyperextended flat on the fretboard. Once you get that you have to start working the position, until it can hold down the D, G, and B strings with your ring finger. All without touching the high E, the A, and the low E strings, which are held by your pointer playing the Barr position . It has been a while but I still remember thinking I would never get that chord. It is a contortionist crundrum for sure. There are bazar Jazz Chords that are also difficult, some streaches seem like they might pop a ligiment... but that hyperextention in the A barr, took me a long time to get comfortable with.

Boy you aren't kiddin. I simply cannot make that version. My ring fingers dont bend up at the first joint that way. It's literally locked straight. I thought it was just me and the arthritis I deal with, but thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. For now I just do the barre with my index and then use the m,r,p fingers do the open A formation.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/13/2020 5:05 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMW

First, I found a whole section of beginner lessons by Christopher that I didn't know about and I'm not even sure how I got there! But the lessons are great! I am definitely backtracking and getting the basics down.

I have been working on the chord group A, D, E. I notice the shape of the A is causing me to have a death grip on the neck and I can't seem to keep my thumb in a comfortable position. I try it with the thumb just on the back/side like Christopher has his but I end up muting the high E string. I usually have my thumb just behind the neck but it just doesn't seem to work well with this A chord.

Any tips for the A chord and how to relax? As with everything, it's probably just a matter of more practice on finding that sweet spot for he correct pressure. Thanks in advance.

In a way; death grips are somewhat psychological. In my years of playing and the new players I've come across, the commonality is that most all seem to feel that in order to fret anything, such as a chord, it requires a bunch of pressure to hold the chord clean.

It really doesn't.

Your thumb isn't a means to grip the neck. The purpose of your thumb is to be a fulcrum. A point from which your hand pivots. I rememer being a store many years ago and a kid was gripping the neck like he was dangling from a pipe a hundred feet in the air.

You may not be doing this but it is the first thing you should consider; are you just gripping the back of the neck in a way that you might be gripping a baseball bat? I've suggested to others in the past to slowly lower there finger down to any given string until it first flats out and still slowly apply pressure until the note rings out clearly. What you'll notice is how little pressure it takes for the note to ring true.

Keeping that in mind, when you fret that A, are you using your thumb in 'pivot' mode or in 'grip and squeeze' mode. Your thumb is a mobile pivot as you navigate around the neck and a tight grip is the opposite of what you need.

Granted, I am making an assumption but as brass tacks, that psychological thing our brain tells us about how to grip something doesn't apply here.

So, some thoughts from stuff I've observed over the years.

# 3
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/13/2020 6:57 pm

Oh, I was definitely squeezing the neck to death. A few days of practicing later, I am finally loosening up on it and playing it better.

I am constantly reminding myself of the fretboard pressure too. That's a tough one but I imagine lighter pressure will become second nature eventually.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.