View post (finger issues with pentatonic scale)

View thread

tammielyn.ts
Full Access
tammielyn.ts
Full Access
10/07/2020 12:34 am

I'm fairly new player. i've been learning scales a bit, and want to work more on them, to memorize, play etc. i watched a video on the pentatonic scale. I absolutely think i will not be able to do it. I am 55 and have rheumatoid arthritis and not sure if that is affecting my ability, however, pressing the Low E string on the 3rd fret and also at the same time the low E on the 6th fret?? I will post a picture of what my pinky does. my fingers quiver. i can't even move my index finger to the next string let alone what my pinky is supposed to be able to accomplish. holding my hand out away from the guitar i can spread my fingers pretty well, but that is spreading them out, not curling them to press a string down. Will i ever be able to do this? How important in the learning process (i really want to be able to master playing the scales and all that will enable me to do down the road musically) and how will i ever do it? I'm the kind of person who says, 'how hard can it be' so my attitude in life is good, but i'm saying regarding this and how my fingers and hand feels, 'i think it's going to be impossible' help anyone and everyone