View post (G is for grrr)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/30/2020 11:34 pm

My view is that by trying to learn fingerstyle whilst not fluent with the most basic open chords yet is making a rod for your own back. Much as it might be your passion, I'd leave fingerstyle until changing chords and forming them quickly & accurately is instinctive.

Otherwise, you have two hands each of which really require your concurrent full [u]conscious[/u] focus, quite different from natural rhythmic strumming whilst forming chords, or even sequential single note picking (with a pick).

Justin has some tips here for those finding first open G Major frustrating. He did. It might offer an alternative perspective to what you've already watched & help you? I didn't find G difficult personally, so although I can have empathy for those who do, I can't relate to it as difficult. Like most, the combination of forefinger pressure, angle and stretch for open F Major was my thorn in those initial days.

"Any other ideas or tips". Self discipline. [u]Stick with the syllabus, [/u]especially through Fundamentals 1 & 2 rather than "skipping" all over the place, even if you do take a concurrent ad hoc excursion whilst doing so. Active learning is the key. By active learning I mean giving your full attention to and taking an interest in rather than just going through the motions and ticking the boxes of [u]whatever it is you are engaged in[/u] regardless it mightn't always be what excites you most.

By way of example of what can be achieved/experienced, two and a half years on, I don't even look at the fretboard any more with the exception of as an initial and occasional cross-reference for anchor points when playing barre chords higher up the neck. For open chords I could be playing in the dark or blindfolded and it wouldn't matter. This has developed subconsciously through assimilation over time. Similiarly for single note licks, and scales which are developing the same way. It'll happen for you too, quicker if you stick with the syllabus. Of course, the caveat YO&MMV. All the best.