F Chord

kenwashington1906
kenwashington1906
09/28/2020 9:19 pm

I am on Chapter 6 Master Chord Changes in the Chord of C

Playing Keep the Faith ......my F Chord stinks

I guess I just push forward with a bad sounding F Chord and hope it will get better.

# 1
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/28/2020 9:28 pm

Not only will it get better, but there will be multiple easier ways to play it in future lessons. Hang in there -- no one likes poor old F at first, but it'll get better!

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 2
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
09/28/2020 10:02 pm
Originally Posted by: kenwashington1906

I guess I just push forward with a bad sounding F Chord and hope it will get better.

Ahhh, that F chord. Sometimes I think it`s aptly named.

I certainly echo the sentiment that practice, practice, practice is the key to mastering that chord. However, there is a cheat version of the F that goes like this :

--1-------- High E string

--1-------- B string

------2---- G string

----------3- D string

-xxxx--- A string

-xxxx--- low E

I actually play both versions depending on the song and chord progression. Of course, ideally the barre version is best but the cheat version still sounds pretty good and will get you by until the full version gets mastered.

Hope this helps.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
09/28/2020 10:05 pm
Originally Posted by: kenwashington1906

......my F Chord stinks

[p]

Pretty much.

I think I can confidently say that [u]anyone[/u] who doesn't have problems with playing open and first fret barre F starting out is truly [u]the[/u] exception.

Just do the best you can and keep progressing with the lesson/syllabus, but at the same time, keep working on both forming and getting the tone out of that F chord. Don't avoid it, but [u]put more work into it than the easier others[/u], balanced of course with something more enjoyable when it becomes frustrating as it will.

Especially in the beginning, we all tend to want to play the chords which come easy because we want to be making music a ASAP which reinforces a perception of getting somewhere/progress.

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/28/2020 10:21 pm

Don't give up Keep practicing. Moose's suggestion to abreviate that F chord until you feel comfortable with the barr chord, is also a good one.You will get this down if you keep at practicing. (Probably just in time to start working on a barred A chord, that one is a real doozie the first time around!)

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
mmurray57
mmurray57
10/05/2020 12:21 pm
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18[quote=kenwashington1906]

Ahhh, that F chord. Sometimes I think it`s aptly named.

I certainly echo the sentiment that practice, practice, practice is the key to mastering that chord. However, there is a cheat version of the F that goes like this :

--1-------- High E string

--1-------- B string

------2---- G string

----------3- D string

-xxxx--- A string

-xxxx--- low E

I actually play both versions depending on the song and chord progression. Of course, ideally the barre version is best but the cheat version still sounds pretty good and will get you by until the full version gets mastered.

Hope this helps.

[/quote

It's great to learn other versions but as for me this one is even harder to do. :(

# 6
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
10/05/2020 2:30 pm

Another critical skill that F chord will lead the way to, is Barr Chords. If you want to move beyond Cowboy Chords, you need to focus on learning this F chord. Even if you only play part of the chord, play the chord. Then continually work on developing that chord form (a barred E chord). Once you can play a Barr Chord you are on your way to an entirely facinating experience. Until then you are riding on trainer wheels. Sort of like taking an aircraft out for a flight and never getting off the ground. You just wind up in an endless taxi pattern around the airfield.

But like all things guitar, it involves endless practice (emphasis on ENDLESS). If you can't find a way to stay amused with your practice sessions, it will be hard to progress with guitar playing. It really is just that simple.

Keep working on those F chords, despite your curret frustration, a vast world awaits your exploration. Keeping up enerta can be challanging, especially in the beginning. You have to work before you can play. But you came here to play.... You want it/ you have to relax into the journey.... Irony sucks some times. However, proficient guitarist, the world over, prove that the jorurney is both doable and well worth the effort.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.