View post (Where to start?)

View thread

BrandNewToThis
BrandNewToThis
12/26/2002 6:47 pm
I am 28 years old and never had an interest in music other than listening. Somehow, in the last few years, from out of no where, an interest in guitar playing began to form, although I am not around anyone who plays. I began to "connect" to music in a way I never did before. I don't know how to explain it. Suddenly listening was not enough. I had to play it. The funny thing is - I didn't own a guitar, I had never touched a guitar and I really don't know anyone on a friend basis who plays. I am not musical in any way. I don't know where this is coming from. This year for Christmas, my husband bought me a guitar. My only intention is for my own enjoyment. I just want to play for myself. I was just wondering what advice you guys would give to someone just starting out? I know I will not be a master overnight. I realize this is going to take a lot of practice. But since it is for my own enjoyment, there is no hurry, so the amount of time it is going to take to learn it does not bother me. I have watched the video that came with it many times already and did the best I could to follow along the first few exercises. Even though I stumbled the whole time, I enjoyed it more than words can say.

Any tips any of you have would be greatly appreciated!
"It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice."