View post (Elixir strings)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/19/2020 2:34 am

Which Elixirs have you fitted? Polyweb or Nanoweb? Phospher Bronze or Bronze? I'm not a fan BTW. My Revstar (electric) came fitted with Elixirs. Gauge (10s) was good. Didn't care for their feel. Gone.

My "tip"? Go back to Ernie Balls if you like them and they work for you. Changing strings shouldn't have changed either the string tension or action if you stayed with the same gauge. Ernie Balls are decent strings, just too pricey for no other advantage in my neck of the woods. Of those I've tried over the past two and a half years, quite a few now, I prefer the feel and tone of [u]uncoated [/u]acoustic strings. My acoustic gotos are D'Addario EJ16s, 12-53 uncoated phosphor bronze [u]changed frequently[/u].

For point of reference Yamaha OEM fitment for the FS800 are either D'Addario EXP11s or their own brand Yamaha FS50BT strings, market dependent. 12-53s which D'Addario refer to as Lights. EXPs are [u]coated[/u] 80/20 bronze, with good tone which really suits smaller Concert bodied guitars like the FS series and APX series very well, although as already iterated, I think uncoated have superior tone. That gauge BTW is the most common fitment on new guitars from many manufacturers.