View post (Finger Picking)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
09/18/2020 11:33 am

I'm no expert, but have taken both courses and I think it's just a matter of personal style and preference. You'll see similarities as you move forward in both techniques. There are many styles and variations of fingerpicking, but the one thing they all have in common is getting you to use your thumb as base note first. Then Index and Middle and in some cases the Ring finger get assigned to various high strings.

I completed Lisa's program and enjoyed it a little more because she incorporates nice little songs into the lessons that I enjoy playing. She starts you off using a basic four step pattern. Then slowly adds other variations and elements to it. Anders uses a duel inside /outside plucking technique for the base notes, but the rest is similiar to Lisa's so they both get you where you wanna be it's just a different path getting there. Of course there are a many more patterns out there, but once you learn the basic concepts, which both instructors will give you, then it's pretty easy to learn other patterns.

For instance I've just been learning "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac. It's not on the songlist so I had to go to one of the many Youtube sites to learn the pattern and I did. It's a thumb first and then every other string pattern. It took me a while to get, but now it's second nature just like all the others, but without Lisa's / Anders basic fundamentals I would have had a tougher time with it. Later on you'll learn to add "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs" to the techniques and that's where fingerpicking becomes a blast.

Have fun,

Moe