View post (Is my guitar setup properly?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/14/2020 9:27 pm

Camera lens distortion makes it difficult to evaluate pin holes in the bridge although they would have been done by vertical drill in a jig, so chances of error are minimal. That said, everything is fallible.

What I can see is that the exit angles of the strings from their pin holes are universially skewiff intercepting the saddle at irregularly spaced intervals and held there by friction once string tension is applied.

Try this.

Loosen off the string tension with the tuners until the strings have next to no tension in them. Remove and reseat the pins & strings ensuring the strings all exit perpendicular to the bridge (note: bridge not saddle). Retension the strings to a light tension. Take the strings as you would after initially installing new strings and stretch them by hand to check integrity of pin seating and straighten string routing to the saddle. Check and adjust any string routing not straight. This should correct any string which isn't in a straight line (perpendicular to the bridge) between where it exits the pin to the saddle, through to the and nut. Now retension all the strings to tune.

Check if the strings now still exit their retaining pin holes perpendicular to the bridge so they all run parallel to where they intersect with and cross over the saddle.

If & assuming they do, the string spacing should now be consistent. I think that is the problem from what I can see.

If it isn't, remove the pins and measure the pin hole spacing centre to centre across the bridge. It should be consistent. If it isn't, back to the shop. It's a dud. GL.